• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is Killing Aspen Trees?

thedeadsea

We have several mature Aspens at our cabin that have been mysteriously dying (these aren't really old or big ones either). I'm talking 20+ trees on a 3 acre lot. Some are all the way dead and some still have leaves on half of the branches. Is there some nasty bug that has finally found a way to kill these normally hearty trees or is it something else?

Steve

Woodpeckers seem to hit ours pretty good, which is usually them going after some bugs of some sort. Honestly, I sort of can't wait for our aspen to drop, as I have pine and spruce and oak all planted to take their spots - so it will be awhile yet. But I have lots more of those aspen, and small ones coming up still. We are only on just under one acre though.

We've had zero army worms since they were thick in 2000. Just this year I have started to notice the dead aspens. Not just on my property but all around the area. Just to clarify, these are not the broadleaf aspens that just are starting to get their leaves either.

Have a couple aspen trees that have been dead for some time. The pileated's have demolished them. Cool birds.

Steve