• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HELP!!!!!!!REPLACING BRAKE PADS '04 DODGE RAM

HELP!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to replace my brake pads in my dodge ram 1500 and it is kicking my a$$!

I got the left side caliper and rotor off and I got the old pads out of the caliper by tapping them with a hammer. What I can't figure out is, when I put the new pads in there does not seem to be anything that keeps the pads against the sides of the calipers. They can slide back and forth as they wish. This can't be right can it? It also seems tight to get the caliper with the new pads back over the rotor, even though I have depressed the cylinders in as far as they will go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are two different options for pads on the half ton depending on the sup model. Both look simular to these 338873.jpg

The pads slide onto the caliper mounting bracket first and then the caliper is installed over the pads. If they look like the picture above than yes there is nothing that "holds" them to the caliper. They should move very freely on the slides of the bracket. If they don't spend some time cleaning the rust off the slides!

Thanks Airjer, Those are exactly the pads that I have. It just seemed odd that nothing held them into the calipers. They do move very freely.

Quote:

The pads slide onto the caliper mounting bracket first and then the caliper is installed over the pads.

Could you please elaborate on this? I wasn't sure how to get the pads out so I took apart what I would call the caliper bracket with the caliper completely off the truck. With this bracket off, I was able to slide the pads out the back side and off. Is there a better way?

Sounds about right. the caliper comes off first, Then the mounting bracket. The rotor can then be removed to either be resurfaced or replaced. However you need to get the pads on is the way to do it. I usually install them onto the bracket before I install the bracket. Once the bracket is bolted back on the caliper is reinstalled.

I think these have tangs on the calipers that interlock onto the bracket so they need to be installed with either the bottom first or the top first so the tang can clear the lip.