• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any tips on skipping docks with a baitcaster?

apegs

I use a 7' medium heavy spinning rod with 65 lb spiderwire for tubes and senkos, and then a 6' medium action baitcaster with 40lb spiderwire for a jig and craw. Like most have said, the baitcasting technique takes a lot of practice, unless you are dedicated to learning it, you may get frustrated and give up. If your not tournament fishing, there probably isn't much sense in spending the time to learn it because a spinning combo with a tube or senko will produce a lot of fish, and often some large ones. You need the heavy line to get the fish out when they are wrapped up or stuck on who knows what under those docks. I have experimented a lot with mono and braid, and I haven't noticed a difference in the fish's preference, unless on ultra clear water with finicky fish. If thats the case, tie a flourocarbon leader onto the braid. A 1/4 oz jig and craw is a good standard for skipping with a baitcaster. There are a variety of ways people do it though, some like short pistol grips, others like 7' rods, some pitch, flip, or cast. I do a combination of them all, depends on the situation. Hope that helps a bit! Good luck learning, its a dynamite way to catch some great fish.

Like a lot of guys I am trying to pick up the art of skipping with the baitcaster but rely on spinning rod most of the time. had a custom rod made for it - 5'6" Rogue blank MH to get them out and short for close in work. Put a Pflueger Supreme spinning reel on it because it has same retrieve ratio as standard baitcaster (6.2:1) to get them outta there quick and use nothing but braid or heavy flourocarbon on it.

I prefer a spinning rod for dock skipping too. I don't see an advantage to a baitcaster. With a spinning rod I can stay way out away from a dock and still skip a bait all the way under. I use a baitcaster to pitch a jig to cover.

Accuracy and power are two of the main reasons for using a baitcaster for skipping. The only time I use a spinning rod for skipping is if I'm throwing a weightless soft plastic. One trick for skipping with a baitcaster besides whats been listed previously is to make sure you lift your rod tip as the lure is skipping. This will give you lift on the lure and help to decrease your backlashes.