• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

soooo i did it and it should be here by the weekend

stifler51

After chastising me 15 months ago, my hunting partner ordered a 997 today also. Spending two days on the water with mine last week was all he could stand. Will be here tomorrow, and well get it going by the weekend.

Enjoy!

Heres a shot I took on Thursday of an area they are dredging.

S00097.PNG

Every time i look at these side scan images I am totally lost. I've never been in a boat with one. What is the dark area in the center of the screen? I might have a better appreciation for it if I had an idea of what I was looking at.

The center area I believe is straight down, where the normal sonar covers. The very outside of the screen is the furthest from the boat. So the far left is 9 oclock, the center is straight down, and the right is 3 oclock. So the dredging is off to the right not quite parallel to the boat.

Reddog,

Have you seen the water disturbances that come from a boat that has passed by on a plane. You can see a trail that looks similar to the dredging pic. It is amazing how long these trails stay in the water after a boat has passed. Took me a while to figure out what they were.

Every time i look at these side scan images I am totally lost. I've never been in a boat with one. What is the dark area in the center of the screen? I might have a better appreciation for it if I had an idea of what I was looking at.

Like noted previously, the dark area in the center of the boat is the water column turned on its side. The boat is on the surface and the bottom furthest left or right edge of the dark is the bottom. Some call it a dead zone, but it isnt dead. If there are fish in the 2D sonar, then there should be fish in the water column, as they are reading the same thing only with different frequencies. If you dont see fish in the water column, then you dont have your side imaging set up right, or youre getting some kind of false reading in 2d.

Alot of people have problems intitally reading a side imaging screen. All it takes is about 20 minutes riding around with someone that knows how to use and set up their unit and it will all come together. Its the same... but different.

Here is a shot of side imaging and 2d sonar, with the fish showing up in both views.

When reading a side imaging screen, the area just below the boat on the top center of the screen is now, eveything below there is history, just like conventional sonar, where everything that comes off the right side of the screen is current and as it scrolls across the screen to the left it become history. How old depends on how far it is across the screen. Its the same, but 2d sonar deals with verticle and side imaging deals with left and right, thats why it has to scroll the way it does and thats why some folks have a hard time getting a grasp of side imaging.

Note the fish in 2d sonar(arcs) and then note the fish in side imaging (white stripes with shadows beyond). Even when the fish show up in 2d sonar, you have no idea where they are in relation to the boat. left or right. Side imaging confirms in this image, that there are some on the left, and more fish on the right. Any fish that shows up in 2d sonar will show up on both the left and right sides of the boat in Side imaging. Because it is within the cone angle of the 2d sonar, it is alwo within the beam of both the left and right side imaging arcs. Note the fish right by the F. It shows up good in 2d sonar, and it is also the first fish down from the boat in SI, where it shows up good on both sides of the boat, because SI tells you that it is directly below the boat. Now, look at the fish that extends thru the 8 in 41.8 degrees. It still shows up in 2d conventional sonar but not as solid as the first fish. This is because it is slightly off to the side, and the unit is not getting as good of a reading on it as the first fish. Side imaging also proves that that fish is not directly under the boat, but more off to the right side, as the second fish down, still shows on both sides if Si, but the image is stronger on the right side than the left. The next group of fish down the screen still show up on both sides, but are considerably stronger returns in SI on the right side, therefore, if you were casting, you would cast right of the boat, rather than left.

Because of the depth and the location of most of these fish, their shadows fall into the water column and woint show up, the fish that are high enough and wide enough on the right side, show some shadows.

DREDGE%20HOLE.jpg

Here is a better shot showing how fish shadow according to elevation. It give you some idea of how suspended they are. This is 9 walleyes on the left, and two groups of 2 walleyes on the right. I split them with the boat as I went over them. Note the shape of the shadow of the fish to the bottom right of the image. Looks like walleyes, bites like walleyes, tastes like walleyes.

Must be walleyes.

S00014_1.jpg

Reddog,

Have you seen the water disturbances that come from a boat that has passed by on a plane. You can see a trail that looks similar to the dredging pic. It is amazing how long these trails stay in the water after a boat has passed. Took me a while to figure out what they were.

Jim, actually, the disturbance you see in the water column is my previous pathway, as I didnt know that they had dredged out of the marina and I was heading out full speed when I seen the bottom. I turned around and went back over it at a better SI speed. Yes, that interference does stay in the water a long time.