• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan A/C fan issues

Last year I had my a/c pump freeze up so I got it replaced only to find out that the reason it failed is because the cooling fan doesn't turn on. The shop said that the fan is bad and the relay is bad. So I am going to replace them both myself and bring it in to get it flushed.

So here's my problem. I have 2 fans and I'm not sure which one runs the a/c. Drivers or passengers?

Also, how do I get to the relay? I read that it's under the headlight but I took out the headlight and couldn't see anything.

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks

I would realy hesitate on replacing both the relay and fans. If the fan is bad usually it will lock up or you will find the plastic fan plastic melted where it burns to the motor. The relay is under the lt headlight and the front of the grill has to be loosened up. Look at the wiring, I've repair a few of them. Also there was a recall on some of the vehicles with rear air the a/c compressor and lines due to metal getting into the system.

ok, I wondered about that too. The shop said it was bad but I was going to check it first. Both fans move freely and there is no sign of melting. I would like it very much if I didn't have to replace it.

Which headlight is the relay under? If someone has a more detail about getting that out I would appreciate it. I lose the wiring around the headlight.

Thanks again

you need to remove the bumper cover (at least disconnect all the fasteners on the top side and pull it back) to gain access. It will be in the area under the drivers headlight but not literally under it. It will be riveted to the unibody. It sounds like you have the new part so you should be able to recognize the old one when you see it.

The older models had them bolted to the driver front lower frame rail near the lower radiator support. They where a real treat to replace.

One other thought is that you can disconnect the fan and jump it directly to the battery. This will allow you to see if it runs and listen to it to see if it makes any noise. Use some heavier wire if you attempt this. If the fan works than your on the right track with the solid state relay.

No, two different systems. The fans should work regardless of the condition of the a/c and the a/c will try to work regardless if the fan is working.

Which leads me to another question do the fans turn on at all? Is the vehicle overheating?

Funny you should mention that. I just got back from picking it up because it overheated this morning. It never has before. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever heard the fans come on and I've owned it for 6 years.

Does the relay operate both fans?

Yes it does.

Basically there are four wires going to it.

Orange w/Red is the 12 volt power from the fuse

Dark Blue w/Dark Green is the power to the fans

Black w/Dark green is the ground for the relay and fans

Dark Blue w/Violet is the PCM control

Hey guys,

Thanks to both of you for all of your help! I was able to find it (it wasn't nearly as hard as I was making it) and replace it easily. I also found out that the fans were perfectly fine but the fuse had blown. I sure am glad I didn't them to replace the fans! Anyways, it works good and I appreciate your help!