Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Burnham

favorite tactic this time of year(post spawn fish)

6 posts in this topic

okay so i have spent around 10 hours on my smallmouth filled rum river, with NO success this year. i have tried topwaters, spinners, curly tails, bass jigs, you name it. i talked to Mr. Lindner the other day and he said to fish vertically, and to use tubes and fish high in the water column. i am planning on giving tubes a shot next time out, but just out of curiousity what do you typically turn to when fishing post-spawn fish.

thanks in advance

ryan burnham

The last couple of days on pool 2 I have been catching all of my better smallmouth with a bobber and a small maribou jig float and fly method. I just put a bobber about 2 ft up and reel it in nice and slow on the edge of the rip rap and they just crush it. It has been working good for me on the river so I would try it out there and see if you have any luck.

I have been having pretty good success throwing senkos( weightless/texas rigged) on the rivers the last few days...

Hiya -

Nothing does post-spawn like smallies. They can really go into a funk... Rivers might be different, but on lakes it'll sometimes take 2" tubes - like crappie tubes - to get them to bit with any consistency. In a river, OLY has a great suggestion. Hair jigs bobbers can be pretty good. Bobbers (call them 'floats' of you want to be fancy-pants about it smile ) are really overlooked for smallies, in lakes or rivers...

Drifting a small fluke or Senko-type bait on a split shot rig isn't a bad idea either.

Good luck. Post spawn too shall pass... (I hope so - I had a tough bite last weekend too...)

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

been fishing another river and having a tought time too. Fished miles of river before finding some fihs. found the fish in slack water in grass. The ones there were aggressive hitting topwaters.