• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motorguide trolling motor "folding" back to hull

shiltsy

I have a 19' Skeeter fish and ski that I purchased used last year. It's my first real fishing boat and I don't think the trolling motor is operating properly. It's a 24 volt 65 lb bow mounted trolling motor.

I believe the trolling motor has some sort of clutch that allows it to fold back towards the hull if it hits something. The problem with mine is that is freely folds back to the hull whenever it is turned to push the boat backwards. It moves the boat, but is loud and clunky when it folds back.

Can anyone confirm that this is NOT the intended behavior of that trolling motor. If not, any ideas how to fix it? I've done some google searches and am not finding much!

Thanks in advance.

I have a motorguide on my Procraft Fish and Ski as well. Mine has a lever that you can tighten down to prevent it from "folding back". I have noticed that due to it's age it likes to loosen up every now and then, but once I tighten it I don't have any more problems. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Ok, I'll take a look when I get back home tonight and see if it's "user serviceable". I'd love a brand new trolling motor, but the cost is hard to swallow when mine technically gets the job done.

Does anyone know if the foot control can be updated to a newer model with Motorguide? Mine is very hard to change speed and nearly impossible to hold a straight course.

It sounds like you might have a gator mount on that Motorguide, and indeed there is a lock or tightener that allows it to fold away if it hits something, but sounds like yours is folding in too easily. If you can't figure it out and you're anywhere near Bloomington have the guys at Motor Clinic look at it, they can answer your question on the pedal too.

Wow, that was easy... somehow I missed the two easy knobs used to tighten it down. The last thing I need to figure out is how to firm up the foot control. It moves too easily now and is tough to set a straight course and take your foot off the control. I read through the manual tonight and looked at some web sites. Is it possible that some of these MotorGuide trolling motors don't have a way to tighten this?

Found it! I haven't tried this out yet, but it's a very good description of how to modify the foot pedal tension:

To adjust the tension on a M/G one cable steering. Get someone to help you.

Put the t/m in the down position, loosen the outer shaft bearing (2 set screws) and lower it about 6-9”. Take the top cover off, disconnect wires, remove the 6 screws that hold the cover on the rack and remove the cover, pull up the steering cable with gear. Hold or block the motor and shaft up about 6”. Remove the setscrew in the pinion gear and back the gear off about 5-6 turns. NOTE: you can break the teeth on the gear so do it carefully. Remove the support block and let the shaft lower to the upper bearing, put grease on both bearings, move the outer bearing back up the shaft as far as you can, tighten the 2 set screws. Tighten (be careful) the pinion gear down to get the tension you want. Tighten the 1 set screw, install the rack, hold the foot pedal all the way down in the back and turn the motor so its pointing back, hold there and install the steering gear and rack cover with 1 screw, test steering, if ok, install 5 more screws. Reinstall or connect wires, install top cover (line up the pointer)