• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to transplant apple trees?

I'm guessing spring or fall - if spring is it too late now? If fall, roughly when?

Got a lot of wild trees coming up in a pasture area I want to use to replace a few that died on me over the winter.

Thanks, later.

Spring or fall is the best time. You could probably get away with planting them now but you might loose a few due to the stress of moving them when they are trying to grow but if the trees are free you can always replace the ones that didnt take in the fall. You would probably have better results if you waited until fall that way the tree is just putting energy into growing roots instead of both roots and new growth.

Thanks much, believe I'll wait until fall. They are some tough trees - just such a variety I'll have no idea what kind of apples I'll get. Some are red, some green, tart, sweet, soft, hard, etc. - and the deer certainly have a preference for some.

Might as well, sounds like he's gonna disc em up before they take over more pasture. I hope he doesn't get around to it! For the most part his beef eat em up soon as they hit the ground anyways - still does leave a bunch for the deer. We've got a fenced off 3 acre chunk as designated 'deer food' of various types.

you usually want to do it when the tree is dormant. so early spring just as frost is coming out. But if the plant is small enough and you get a big enough area around the tree you can do it later. Key to this is get as big area as you can (drop line x 2) and try to get if possible half to 2/3 deep as tree is tall. Good luck.