Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Musky_Madness

Burned By A Boat Dealer

54 posts in this topic

We brought in a boat (1850 Crestliner Fish Hawk 150 Opti) this fall to be winterized at a local dealer and ended up with a nightmare. First, when the boat was picked up, the service department backed the boat out (last year was brand new) of the shop with a four wheeler without looking where he was going and backed the boat up into a parked four wheeler and proceeded to push harder when the boat resisted to go backwards. In doing so, the four wheeler behind the boat was subsequently damaged as well as the boat and broke out the 3 LED lights on the cross brace of the trailer. So the owner comes out and sees what the fuss is and is going to make it right. So they "fix" the scratches and the lights and the boat goes into storage. Well we find out that the lights that were installed are not LED and they simply replaced them with filament bulbs and cheaped out on the parts for that and then today while fishing on Lake Minewaska the depth finder was loosing track of the bottom constantly. When we got home I took a look at it and here the transducer is snapped off from the plastic piece that the bolt runs through to hold the transducer in place. All around that is super glue residue where somebody superglued it to hide the damage. This boat was brand friggin new last year and that's the only place it has been serviced at ever. I think I'd remember if I superglued my transducer back together! How do I approach the dealer tomorrow AM to get my LED lights back and a transducer repaired...Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Go straight to the owner with a cool but firm demeanor. Explain the situation and that you expect that things to be repaired to like new and do not leave until you get what you want. Most owners are used to having an employee(s) now and then that get rammy and bust customer stuff. You are right and he is wrong and most will do what it takes to keep you happy. A fair man will side with you over the employee who did a cheesy job to hide the damage.

Steve

I would ask to speak to who ever manages/owns the business. Be square with that person and tell them exactly what happened and how you feel it should be handled. (You broke it, you fix it) Right? If the owner feels customers come first, there should be no trouble gettin your LED's and ducer fixed to new condition. If ya think about it, The price of LED's and 1 ducer should be pocket change to a marine dealer. If they want your continued business, they will make it right with ya. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses! The light thing wasn't a huge deal to me, but the transducer on a brand new boat REALLY peeved me off. I will keep you posted!

I also recommend going in calm, and try to stay calm. The owner/manager may not fess up to it right away, so give him time to check into it. If he values his customers, he will make things right for you, and offer something extra for your troubles. Don't lose your temper, you will get more from them as a calm person then a [PoorWordUsage] off customer. But be direct, and let them know you wont settle for anything less then fixing it like new.

Like all others I suggest going in calm, and let them know what you expect. If they do not make it right by you, report them to the BBB.

Man, I would be Hot if that happened to my Brand New boat and they started to deny it.

If you look at it at their point of view, if you go in screaming and telling them how bad their dealer is, they will assume they already lost you as a customer and why give anything away. If you go in calm and keep your cool, they will think they are just making a small investment on a return customer.

Oh man I'd be peeved too.

I dunno - the squeaky wheel gets the grease here. This is the business owner's opprotunity to win you back. Assuming he likes his business. I'm not talking about going in there irate/screaming/demanding, but I'd for sure have a chip on my shoulder when communicating. I'd make it very obvious I wasn't a happy camper.

Good luck sir!

The fact the the owner was present when the initial damage took place, tells me that he knew about it and probally ordered the fix in the fashion that is was completed. If you have other dealer options I would use them in the future and fix the damaged parts yourself. A repuatable dealer never would have allowed your damage to get fixed in the fasion that it was.

Always start out calm and cool. If you go in cool you can always escalate your anger and your attitude if being calm isn't getting you any where. Just make sure you clearly state your issue and what you expect from them, calm and fair usually works the best. Let them know that how they handle this situation may very well dictate your willingness to do further business with them.

If you go in mad from the start then what do you do if that doesn't work? You've already used your Ace in the hole and you can't go back to trying the cool and calm approach any more.

Its like using up all your bench moves in the 1st inning. If you do that what happens when you're in a tie game in the bottom of the 9th? You have no more options left.

I took the same aproach with a jeweler. Bought a ring, the dealer added the wrong gold, it wore down in 3 months. Went in cool, talk with the lead person. As I told about my trouble the others in the store saw I was not happy with the work. At first he was making all type of reason, like its my problem. Soon it got more heated, As customers started leaving the store quickly, the dealer finally gave me choice of any new setting, at no charge. [ you catch more flies with honey,then vinegar]. Good luck

I was at the dealer this AM and everything went really well. I talked with a guy at the counter, not the owner and explained what had happened and went and looked at the damage and they never questioned a thing, went inside and checked the catalog and ordered a new transducer and LED light bar for $100 bucks and will call when it arrives in a few days to fix it. Now it's wait and see time...

Sounds like they are doing what they can to make things right with you, and want you to return as a happy customer. Good for you, and good for them!

$100 is a pretty cheap investment for them to maintain a customer in tough times. If you come back for future purchases I'm sure the ROI (return on investment) will be huge for them.

I guess myself personally I wouldn't consider this getting burned by a boat dealer that seems like a bit of an over-reaction to me anyway.

grin

Good luck with your transducer!

I guess myself personally I wouldn't consider this getting burned by a boat dealer that seems like a bit of an over-reaction to me anyway.

I certainly don't think this is an over reaction . . . I'd be upset too if I bought a new boat from a dealer and they damaged the trailer and the ducer - and then tried to cover it up (worse of all). Keep us posted.

I wouldn't be suprised if the moron who backed the thing into the ATV in the first place was in charge of fixing it. He probably only knew about the LED at first and later found the transducer issue. I'd bet he just slapped some glue on it and told no one else about the problem. The owner of the dealership doesn't find out about some of these screw ups becuase the grunt workers just cover them up with some glue. The owner may very well have had it fixed properly right from the start had he known it was broken.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge

I certainly don't think this is an over reaction . . . I'd be upset too if I bought a new boat from a dealer and they damaged the trailer and the ducer - and then tried to cover it up (worse of all). Keep us posted.

I didn't say he shouldn't be upset I would be too.

But this doesn't make the top 1,000 for being Burned By a Boat Dealer story's or incidents nor is it surprising with the way the entire boating industry works these days.

Come on over I'll fix it for free!

Keep us posted I won't be able to sleep until this is resolved ...LOL!.... grin

We will be watching what happens. I love this forum because if the dealer doesn't make it right a few more than normal will know.

I will also agree with everyone that you should go in calm. I do some customer service and if I have someone four lettering every other word I will ask them to leave or hang up on them if on the phone if they can't talk civilly. Try to talk to someone who knows of the situation if you remember a face or name. Maybe the owner/manager will remember and hopefully will take care of you. Which they should. I would get the LED lights back. The transducer might be damaged so a new one should be installed. Don't settle for second rate service.

I'm sure there is a lot of stories of worse experience, but IMO not only should they be fixing it with no hassel - but they should also be throwing in someting extra for all of the hassel/problems (like credit towards future labor for services).

The incident has cost him one fishing trip with out his ducer - and cannot be used while waiting for the part/fix, and at least two trips to the dealer and lost time & hassel to deal with the issue. If they were serious about keeping his business it is the least they should be do IMO.

I agree with you NCLaker. Sounds like the dealer is working with him on it though. Keep us updated. Accidents happen, they should have fixed it right the first time.