Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vanhea20

Waterproofing a tent

7 posts in this topic

Just bought my first tent and was wondering what to use to waterproof it. I know that there is stuff to waterproof the seams but is there anything you can buy to put on the sides of the tent. Any comments would be appreciated.

If its new it should be fine. If its old, then you can go to a camping store or REI and pick up some wash on or spray on waterproofing. I like the wash in stuff. You fill a laundry tub with water and the mix and then soak your tent in the tub.

Spray on works well, but you have to get even coverage.

I've always had good results with Campdry. You should be good for a couple seasons with a new tent.

Thanks for the comments. Would any of you suggest sealing the seams on the tent or should they be fine since it is new?

Seal them. If you've got a yard and a lawn sprinkler, give it a test run, since it is new. Helps eliminate suprises in the middle of a rainy night.

It doesn't hurt to seal the seams. They're a typical weak point. A friend had a new tent and suffered through a recent wet weekend with leaking seams.

I would say seal it...as far as I know, it can't hurt, and like the previous post said, it can prevent a miserable night.