• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fluoro leader question

Scoot

I'm going to tie up some fluorocarbon leaders. For my own leaders, I'll simply tie directly to my line with back to back uni-knots. However, I'm also going to tie up some others for a couple buddies-- how should I tie these?

I don't want them to have to tie directly, because their knots will be a mess and they'll have problems. Currently, I have the following components: fluoro line for the leaders, ball bearing swivels, Sta-loc snaps, and split rings.

Since the ball bearing swivels are expensive, I'd like to only use one of them per leader, but since I want them to be useable for bucktails, I definitely want one on each leader.

Should I use the swivel on the snap end and tie the leader to the split ring? Or... should I just order some barrel swivels and put a barrel swivel on one end and a ball bearing swivel on the other end? Suggestions please...

In this order. Welded ring ball bearing swivel, fluoro leader, stay loc snap.

In my opinion leaders start to get too heavy with two swivels on them. This doesn't matter much for bucktails or straight cranking stuff, but glide baits it can have a dramatic effect.

I would like to avoid tying directly to the Sta-Loc because they wear out and need to be replaced fairly often. Otherwise, I'd have done exactly what you suggested.

Good questions. The only fluoro leader I have is from Stealth and he uses a nail knot. I asked and made sure they have enough of a loop in the knot end to replace the stayloc snaps as they wear out.

What knot(s) are you using for direct ties Scoot? I've tried several and while they seem to hold they don't draw down neat. Haven't tried the nail knot, that will probably be next. I have tried the knot L Tauchen recommends in Esox magazine and don't have that one down yet.

I'm a single wire leader guy anyways but still like to learn - most stuff becomes applicaple at some point in time.

My bud crimps his - doesn't sound to me though that he's doing it properly and from what I've read you gotta get it right for crimps to be trustworthy.

I've been tying double uni-knots with no problems. I've found that knot to be a solid knot for general purposes. I'll look into the nail knot and see if it'll fit my needs.

Thanks Cooter!

How many wraps on the uni and does it ever get a bit curly right above the knot on you? Pretty sure with the uni you could get the knot tight by pulling hard on the tag end and still leave a big enough loop for changing snaps. Fill me in on how things go.

For me, I use seven wraps when I'm tying a uni-knot to a hook or the swivel end. I use five wraps on each of the two knots when I tie double uni-knots.

Yes, I have to be very careful to keep the tag end pulled pretty gently, to avoid getting the curly line. If you cinch the tag end too much, it'll mess up the line above the knot. If you keep it pretty loose, it seems to work well for me.

I hadn't thought about not cinching down the uni-knot all the way-- if it moved at all, it would be to simply cinch up tighter (i.e., it wouldn't come untied). I may try that!