Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
speedbump

Cleaning the outside of your motor

15 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what others were using to get all of the lake water stains and such off of their black motors. I want to find something that does not leave any swirl marks on the plastic upper portion of the motor and also a cleaner for the lower metal portion. This is my first black motor and I don't want to guess and make a big mistake.

Find a product called Ducky's. Just spray on and wipe off. Works great on my Mercury for removing water spots.

I have used windex and it has worked fairly well. I do clean it all the time so the spots never get that bad.

If the water marks have been there for an extended period of time, they something a bit better will more than likely be needed.

I leave all those wimpy cleaners on the shelf and just break out the sandblaster.

Seroiusly, the marine waterspot removers are probably the best product. You can also try kitchen products like Lime-Away or CLR for that stubborn white residue since it is primarily calcium.

I use a mixture of 50:50 vinegar and distilled water. Spray down the boat and motor and wipe it off with a microfiber rag every time you take it out of the water. It will take off all the waterspots and keep your motor looking like it came off the showroom.

Vinegar and water 50:50. Use it on the boat, motor, and lowrance screen. Works great and is very inexpensive.

Matt

where can you find duckys? thanks

iceman

what I have found to work the best is a product called work's toiletbowl cleaner, you take a regular squirt bottle mix 50/50 with the cleaner & other with water. I keep the bottle with me in the boat & after pulling the boat out @ the landing or parking lot i spray it & wipe it down boat & motor. excellent for splash guards.does not take the wax off either.

I have tried the vinagar and numerous other products and so far nothing works as good as CLR.

Nels

Just because it was right in the kitchen, I tried the 50:50 vinagar and water last night and I was amazed with the results.

Can't go wrong using Restore and Wonderfoam. Made for boats and won't harm the gelcoat either. [Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.] Nels

Mothers wax as you dry......

3rd for Ducky - black boat and black motor, ducky makes it all look good