• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drift Sock Fishing Advice

Covey

Thinking about buying a drift sock for fishing on larger lakes and really have never used one. Wondering how necessary they are say for fishing Leech and also some advice as to how to use them.

Having owned a drift sock for a few years now I can say that they are absolutely worth the money. I've got a 16ft. aluminum hull boat that can get pulled around pretty good by the wind. Any day where the wind is steady at 10mph+ I'll use the sock on the back of the boat and tie it to the side facing the wind. It fills up and slows down your back end quite a bit. I can then run my bow mount on a lower setting and control my direction accordingly. Absolutely cake to control. If you drift shallow, rocky water make sure to get a heavier duty material as the cheaper ones rip easily. I've got a Drift Control and it works great.

I was on leech a week ago. With the wind blowing hard we used our drift sock while drifting. It really slows you down nicely. You can use smaller jigs/wieghts... I also use mine all the time on other lakes like jimbuck said. A great tool for fishing. I know mine has helped me catch lots of fish.....

I don't think the size of the lake has a lot to do with using a sock or not. I'll use mine on any lake when I want to slow down my drift or troll. I just got mine this spring, so I am still experimenting with it, but I like it a lot, very easy to use. I bought a cheap one on an online auction site just because I wanted to see if it was worth it or not. It is made very heavy duty but still deploys easy, and I saved a bunch of money over the standard ones in the big stores.

I have multiple drift socks in my boat, all different sizes, so I can fine tune how the boat drifts and how fast it moves. If going with 1 sock I think it's good advice to get one that is rated for a bigger boat than you have.

After that, experiment with where you tie them off to control your drift - on some boats the front or the back drifts faster so that might affect where you want it. Or maybe it will work great tied off in the middle of the boat.

They also work great for giving you more control when under power, just make sure there's no way they can reach your motor.

I am new to the drift socks this year but I am 100% an advocate of them. As stated a couple times already they are not only for big water. I now fish with my sock out 90% of the time. I have found it to be a great tool when im slowly fishing a shoreline for bass using plastics. It helps me with the trolling motor as the boat is slower to react and movements are slower and more accurate> If a drift sock company needs testimonials they should get one from me as I love my drift sock!!!! cool

I bought one a bit bigger than was recommended for the 16 foot boat I have. I also made sure to get the bouy that keeps the line up and easy to deal with. I can't remember but I think that cost an extra $15 or so. The one I have also has a line that reaches down through the middle of the sock when opened and that helps a lot when bringing it in. It comes in handy as all the others have said.

Thinking about buying a drift sock for fishing on larger lakes and really have never used one. Wondering how necessary they are say for fishing Leech and also some advice as to how to use them.

Have a look in the South Central forum. This very topic was the May 2009 - "Tip of the Month". Tons of information throughout that thread.

I got this from a tv show a few years ago and use mine directly under the boat I have 2 lines from the sock going to each bow cleet with the sock set to ride right below the keel. very easy to set out and completely out of the way

I got this from a tv show a few years ago and use mine directly under the boat I have 2 lines from the sock going to each bow cleet with the sock set to ride right below the keel. very easy to set out and completely out of the way

Good tip Trollin. I set mine up that way and it works like a charm. Lots of guys just put it out front 6 to 10 feet. I found that system makes it hard to turn in a wind. With it right under the boat you have better control. And, you are right, it is easy to deploy and take in.

One suggestion, Go big. My boat is rated for a 40-50" and at times I have out a 40" and a 50" at the same time and it isn't enough. Granted I've been out on some windy days on Mille Lacs and Leech. But at least get one larger than what is rated for your boat on the package.

Joe

I used one back home all the time while trolling. They are great for slowing you down to the right speed when you're motor doesn't idle down enough. Many times I would throw it out when trolling down wind and then bring it in while trolling into the wind.

Keep in mind that if you have it out and are trolling in a crosswind you may have trouble turning into the wind while trying to maintain your speed.

Never really done a lot of drift fishing, but as I become more acustomed to the techniques in Minnesota I am sure I will have it out during some drifting.

like sandmann and others have said make sure you get the float. i was on leech 3 weeks ago and had got two new socks before i left for the trip. put one out the front and one out the back and after a while the back of the boat started moving faster then the front looked and i had lost my brand new sock. followed my GPS line, thought maybe it would still be able to be seen and i lost it.

iceman

I got a nice big blue drift control brand one a few years back out on Mille Lacs on a lindy rig and crawler, so be sure you get the float...and thanks to the guy who did not use the float, I love the bag.