• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

8 month old lab wont swim (how dumb is that...)

I got my pup about a week before water turned solid last fall so I did not have a chance to get her out in it. So far this spring, I have introduced her to water and she loves it....until she has to start swimming. She will run and frollick in it all day, but not swim, I have tried everything including teasing her out with a bird wing, which works somewhat. I think it is just a confidence thing as she does not know how well she can swim. Anyone have any suggestions how to make it easier for her or if it will just come to her?

It probably will just come to her as her retrieving desire increases. What often helps is to bring another dog friend of her's along to the water and that can help. Just don't force the issue and keep making it fun.

when the water is warm enough get out and wade into the water so she follows you and swims. My dog will swim constant for a half hour if im out in the water. if she sees you out there then she'll be at easy. then go to fetching from there.

crothmeier is correct. My brit was not to excited but now when near water he goes right in and swims away. I had him at the dock last week to go fishing and I turned around and he was chasing a duck as it swam away. Good thing his listens well. Your dog will swim when it is ready.

She'll come around. Our male, Oscar, didn't want to swim for a while. I couldn't believe a lab wouldn't want to swim. He was a little over four months old. We had him in Grand Marais one weekend and he saw a dead head sticking out of the lake (Superior) and he went nuts barking at it. We let him off the leash and he swam out to it so we tossed a stick in for him to bring back. We had all we could do to keep him out of the water. He stood on shore shivering and barking at us to keep throwing the stick. He just had to decide he wanted to swim, I would bet your pup will be the same way.