• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Punto

greebs

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty convenient that he's on the DL for a hammy. He's overpaid and has become (er, is still) Jason Tyner/Lew Ford in my book. He doesn't hit enough to be just a fielder. I've heard that he should become the designed SS when Blackburn pitches as that's when the most grounders occur.

And a healthy Adam Everett in Detroit has stats that blow Punto off the field for half the pay. Too bad he wasn't healthy last year as we could have seen more from the position.

I think Punto is best used off the bench or a fill in. Not an everyday player. You could see this last season, and Twins still give him a big contract. I think Harris is more productive. If Casilla gets his groove going in the bigs I think putting him at short/2B or even Tolbert at any of these positions (I believe both have played these positions and were converted) and put Punto back on the bench is the way to go (imo).

What happens when Casilla forgets how to hit and field again?

Let's just hope that doesn't happen. If he can get back to playing like he did last year, second base will be his.

Punto is the 5th highest paid player on the team and he isn't even a starter on the team right now IMO. It would be nice if we could trade him for someone with a little more pop, on the bat that is.

I've got my doubts that he's got much for trade value. He's making a decent amount of $ now so doubt anyone would take him on unless they really really need a ss bad and I doubt we'd get much in return for him.

I think he's got value with the team, just not as an everyday starter. He's got value as a utility player I think that is how he should be utilitzed.

Well with the money they are paying him, you can't justify using him as a utility player. You can't have that much money sitting on the bench every other game. I HOPE someone takes him off our hands, I'm so sick of that guy and his nonexistent bat. Not to mention the fact that the guy slides head first into 1st base.

I read this morning that Gardy plans to keep Harris at SS and Punto has been taking balls at 2B and will likely come off the DL after today's game at Oakland. Punto will revert to utility with Tolbert and Casilla likely will be sent down.

There's no trade value for Punto, there's no trade value for Cassilla and there's no trade value for Harris or Crede for that matter. Basically the Twins need to replace three fourths of their infield in order to get into the post season and that cerainly isn't going to happen this year and maybe not next year either. You can't continue to keep 3 or 4 guys around that are hitting 2 bills and are average fielders. Any help in the Minors? A few years away I'm afraid.

There's no trade value for Punto, there's no trade value for Cassilla and there's no trade value for Harris or Crede for that matter. Basically the Twins need to replace three fourths of their infield in order to get into the post season and that cerainly isn't going to happen this year and maybe not next year either. You can't continue to keep 3 or 4 guys around that are hitting 2 bills and are average fielders. Any help in the Minors? A few years away I'm afraid.

Pretty solid points except us not making the playoffs. You may end up being right about that now that Slowey is out for season and Liriano is injured again. But with those two healthy I believe we would be a shoe-in to win the division.

Not too surprising Punto isn't hitting like last years .290 avg.

I was hoping for at least his career avg this year, so thats disappointing.

That being said he still earns his pay and it's invaluable to have somebody who can play 3 infield positions at the blink of a switch so you can hope all you want that he'll be gone next year but it's not going happen.