Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Solocam Hunter

Finding Crappies

8 posts in this topic

Where on lakes do crappies hang out around this time of year? Any info would be helpful.

We have out best luck in new growth weeds and around docks until the water warms up then we move to deep weeds and rock piles.

I read statements like this "until the water warms up" all the time and wonder to myself . . . at what temperature is the water "warmed up?"

I've heard that at water temp of 75 degrees the crappies move deeper to find cooler water. Until then, they stick around where they can find the most food.

Lakes are stratified already. Found some nice pre-spawn fish in extreme northern Minnesota over the weekend that were holding tight to weed edges in about 7 feet. Gorgeous new growth cabbage and old railroad pilings. Things are still a ways off up there. Our lilac bush hadn't even bloomed yet.

In southern Minnesota, I found some on nests and some hanging back near the first breakline...This lake already had a thermocline, so before long they will be roaming some or at the very least hanging deeper. 68 degrees on the surface, 50 degrees 25 feet down on a 60 foot lake...thermocline was at about 22-23 feet, but it will vary from lake to lake.

Like da_chise said, I've been finding most of my crappies on the developing weedlines in primarily 8-12ft, with a few stragglers shallower and deeper. I've been finding the greatest concentrations of fish on the weed points and inside turns, and even a few on rock points as well.

Ive been finding most of my crappies at the bottom of my 5 gallon bucket smile

Beauty weekend for crappies for once. Nothing better than right off the dock and into the pan, YUM! So what if I can't find walleye's this year...