• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what do I need to do to go from 12V to 24 V for Minnkota troller

Hoffer

Question

I have a really nice Minnkota troller but its not an autopilot. i am thinking of buying one - but it would be a 24 volt system.

Do I need to do anything to my current system? i was hoping to just add another battery and be able to even use the same slide mount I have one now...just slide the current one off - and the new one on?

Is there more to it than that!

Thanks!

Hoffer

6 answers to this question

I agree with the others, actually mounting the 24 volt motor in place of your 12 volt motor is a simple matter of doing a few screws and bolts. The wiring may be a bit more complex but it all depends on what your boat is set up for -- most are designed for 12/24 volt at the front but you need to make sure you're getting 24 volts to the motor to get it to work.

Keep in mind I am not good at these things :-)

What I have now is a simple single battery up front. It has 2 sets of connections - one for the troller motor and one for the on-board charger.

So, I was hoping it would be a simple maneuver to set it up for 24V. After all - doesnt that just mean it runs on 2 batteries vs. 1?

I was thinking maybe all I would need to do is get an extra battery and hook them up in "parallel"...basically just getting a set of connector wires to joing the 2 batteries together so it is then 24V.

However, not being very good at this stuff as mentioned above - please let me know if that is all I need to do.

Thanks!

Hey Mark,

You don't want them in parallel, because you will still have a 12v system - it will just last twice as long.

What you need to do is simply take the power leads on the boat and with the 2 batteries down in their compartment, just hook the boat + to one battery and the boat - to the other so they are on opposite batteries. Now on the + and - that you are not hooked up to on the opposite batteries just put a jumper connecting them. Now you will have a 24v system.

If you have any questions, when you get up here I will hook it up for you.

Hey Outfitter-

Thanks! The one troller that I was looking at is actually for sale just south of duluth. we usually take 35 north through cloquet and i could have possibly stopped by to look at it and maybe purchase - but now we are going to take a different route. So...I will probably just have to slum it with the non autopilot laugh

Thanks for the offer though!

One week from tomorrow we will be sitting in the outpost cabin at this time hopefully sore from catching many fish!