• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to catfishing

musky5555

Went out catfishing one night last week for the first time. We had two runs, but didn't catch anything. We did have fun and I plan on doing some more of it.

What's the best types of baits and sizes for flatheads?

I also couldn't help but to notice all the flathead pics on here that appeared to be caught during mid-day. Although I agree that flathead peak times might in the evening into the night, my fishing partner refuses to believe these pics, and says that it's extremely rare to catch a flathead during the day. Input anybody???

I use tyically bullheads around the larger max size of 7 inches. I will also use live creek chubs in the 4-6 inch range. Suckers now and then alo in the 6-8 inch range.

As far as flatheads in the daylight hours goes, I have caught many. I will fish the same area that I typically do for the evening except I will throw my bullheads into the deeper hole instead of fishing the shallower water next to the hole. There are times when I will also fish some wood by deeper holes but the snags seem to always be an issue.

Yes, the will bite in daylight hours for sure if you are located in the right location.

For bait, go with creek chubs, bullheads, or suckers. Anything in the 5 inch to 11 inch range (no bullheads over 7 inches of course) should work well for you. Just go with whatever you can get your hands on.

As for the daytime flatheads, something to realize is that the majority of the daytime flatheads you see here are not in the "middle" of the day, they're within a couple hours of sunset. The same can be said of most of the night-time pictures you see here, probably the majority are within 3 hours of sunset or sunrise.

When the sun goes down around 9:00 as it is now, I would put time in between 6:00 pm and 1:00 am. This gives me a few hours on each side of sundown and I'm not walking around like a zombie from staying up all night.

and I'm not walking around like a zombie from staying up all night.

I resemble that remark.

daytime flats are often overlooked, but no doubt can be targeted effectively in the snags.

Yep monsters can be caught during daylight hours wink . That is why I am still on the water right now. grin

Is it knowing what you are doing? Is just dumb luck? Do we owe a thank you to the flat Gods when we get a monster? I do not know. All

I know is being in the right place at the right time, doing the right things pays off.

Welcome to catfishing. Catfisherman have more fun! wink

bait for flats can be anything from suukers, bullies,creek chubs as for size bullies leagle size is 3-7 inches and Ive caught big flats on smaller bullies as well as the bigger ones same goes for suckers and chubs except you can only use up to 12 inch suckers.

catching flats during the day isnt that hard its like shackbash said right place and right time. one of the biggest things to sucessfullness is reading the river and knowing what the haunts are for the fish your after.

thinking like a catfish is a must and thats whay catfisherman have more fun grin

Ive caught quite a few during day time hours most were around that 2-3 hour period before sunset but you definatly can work some serious snags up close with a big hunk of cutbait and pull out some nice flats. Since your so close to snags its best to go with fresh cut as it wont get hung up as much as live will.