• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fireline question

I am looking into putting fireline on my walleye reel, does anyone on here recommend it? I have heard a lot of good but also a lot of bad about fireline. For the price is it worth buying over the Berkley Trilene? Thanks for any help.

I have used Fireline since it came out. I normally had used Berkley Trilene XL for live bait rigging, but have switched to Fireline.

For live bait, I tie a snap swievel to the Fireline and use a leader with jigs/spinners/lindy style rigs tied with fluorocarbon.

For ice fishing I do the same. Fireline with fluorocarbon leaders.

For shad rapping or casting cranks, I tie the lures direct.

I have never had any problems with Fireline either black or crystal. Like all lines, you have to check it for wear and nicks.

Palomar knots work the best for me.

For many years my standard was Trilene XL. Two years ago I tried Fireline and haven't looked back.

Much more sensitive, much more resistant to wear, no spool memory, and farther casting with lighter lures.

The only problem I encountered was early on with the knot but I switched to the Polomar knot and haven't had any more trouble.

One advantage with Fireline is that because there's no stretch the knot doesn't get weaker after each fish or snag. If you have a tendency to overdo your hookset, that'll have to change or you'll rip the hooks out of their mouths.

What I do is backfill my reel with XL and then top it off with Fireline. That way the 125yd spool is more than enough.

I am looking into putting fireline on my walleye reel, does anyone on here recommend it? I have heard a lot of good but also a lot of bad about fireline. For the price is it worth buying over the Berkley Trilene? Thanks for any help.

What's the bad news? Curious as to what you've heard. Thanks.

Been using fireline exclusively for a number of years. Grey early on, green, and now crystal. Awesome for trolling cranks in/over/around cabbage as it can cut thru the stuff and lures can be snapped and cleaned super easy because of the no stretch factor. I do seem to get some biteoffs that I wouldn't expect with it at times but overall its definitely worth the money. Fish rocky lakes like Vermilion a lot and can fish jigs and lose 25% and maybe less than that vs people using mono. I still tie direct with jigs as well as usually using a cross-lock snap for cranks. I've even tied up lindy style rigs with the new crystal and not felt it really hurt my fishing.

Originally Posted By: Quagmire

What's the bad news? Curious as to what you've heard. Thanks.

I have heard that it can cut into your rod guides and nick the line up, and I have heard that it is not very good for drifting with a lindy rig, and that is how I fish most of the time thats why im curious what other people think about it before I give it a shot.

I think it works just fine for lindy style fishing. It will wear the plastic guides on some cheaper rods.

I have a couple st. croixs and a couple wallyworld specials with metal fuji guides and found no wear after years of using fireline.

I think I will give it a shot, thanks for the advice. What lb test would you recommend, and why wouldnt you use it for a snell? I was going to buy 10 lb test because I think it was 4 lb diameter?

Fireline is great. Gets deeper for trolling cranks, awesome sensitivity. I'm on season 4 or 5 now. It's on four of my rods. You can even backreel in the spring from last years line (if you're really trying to save some money). That way the frayed stuff is on the bottom of the spool.

I think I will give it a shot, thanks for the advice. What lb test would you recommend, and why wouldnt you use it for a snell? I was going to buy 10 lb test because I think it was 4 lb diameter?

Using it for a snell becomes an issue with visibility and stretch.

Great stuff, I buy the crystal color. I will eventually spool all of my reels with either this or Power Pro as the mono gets old.

I have caught lakers in Superior and other clear BWCA lakes tied right to the jig but would agree with the other guys and put a fluoro leader for optimum success.

I have 14 lb test, 6 lb diameter on one reel and 6 lb test, 2 lb diameter on another. The only trouble of any kind was getting really light crappie jigs down in deep water with the lighter line. For all purpose fishing I would suggest going somewhere between those 2 sizes.

Steve

Guess I'm the odd one out here.

I went from fireline back to mono on my lindy rod. When a fish hits, I drop the line and sweep the rod forward to pay out line, I close the bail and when I feel the fish, set the hook. Problem is when I sweep the rod forward, Fireline likes to snag on itself and runs thru the guides none too smoothly, I felt fish were feeling it and dropping the bait. When I switched back to mono my catch rate went up.

Love my braid for bobber, and trolling, but for jigs and casting its P-Line and Sensation for rigs.

I don't like fireline for rigging because because it's uncomfortable to hold and I like some stretch in my line for rigging. XL is smooth and works awesome for rigging. For jigging and trolling I use fireline or power pro.

Joe

I went from Fireline to mono (Gamma) for rigging last Spring and haven't looked back. You still get the sensitivity with the Gamma but have the benefits of the mono. I use a 7 foot Loomis Walleye Series rod, which has been very nice, too.

I tried fireline when it first came out. I just didn't like the feel of it. I went back to trilene XL and haven't look back. It works well for me so I see no reason to change....

Gamma seems pretty intersting. I looked at it in the store last night. It isn't that much more expensive than Trilene. I think I will try it on my riggin rod.......

I've been happy with Gamma for rigging. Still like Fireline (w/a flouro leader) for jigging.

I also use the palomar know for tying jigs to Fireline.