Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iambjm

My first trip with the Seniors

22 posts in this topic

I had my first trip out with the seniors yesterday. What a blast!!! I was assisting a little old gal who could barely see her bobber and she was quite the character. She caught 8 small perch one sunny and you would have thought she caught a 10 pound walleye. I was overwhelmed by the fun these seniors had. I felt as if all my problems are so trivial. By the way, my little gal Evelyn wasn't even going to go yesterday but the director of the group convinced her too. I told Evie that I was so happy that she came because now I have a new fishing friend. I went home with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. And I can hardly wait till my next outing!!!!

Way to go Barb,

I would love to do something like this. I can not stand nursing homes but would love to be out fishing with people who know and have lived a lot more than me, that would be awsome.

Hope

Oh that is such a great post, thank you! Sounds like it was a ton of fun.

Its sounds great. If guys ever need any extra help, just email me. I'd make the trip to where ever to help out once in awhile.

Barb - Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. And what a special relationship with the seniors.

barb, how old do i have to be before you take me out to your secret spots..er i mean fishin???? crazysmirklaughlaugh

barb, how old do i have to be before you take me out to your secret spots..er i mean fishin???? crazysmirklaughlaugh

Glenn, are you over 55? Are you blind? (If not I will have to blindfold you) Are you mute? (If not that can be arranged) Do you smoke? (If you do be prepared for withdrawals) Can you afford gas, bait, beverages, snacks, and a lobster dinner afterwards? Then you can go. I will not guarantee fish though...........

not yet in most categories. and the lobster dinner is definitely out. arent you suppose to have a fish fry after fishin? laughlaugh

I sure wish some of the residents I work with could get out in a pontoon. It's good to hear you gave those folks a fun time. Don't they deserve it!? You are a good lady Barb. You rock girl! coolgrin

They are working on a chapter in Duluth. I had so much fun I felt like I should be paying them to do it. Next time I am out I will take some pics of the pontoon, talk about a sweet ride...........

Very cook, it's always good to hear stories of folks that do these things. It's great to take thes folks out and show them a good time.

Took my captains training Sunday and now I am itching to take my first run. I have to take my first couple of run's with another experienced captain, but I am eager to go. It's gonna be a lot different than running my 1650 Lund Rebel, I think the toughest part for me is going to be guiding it back on the lift without hitting anything. Lookout boaters, Lambjam is coming to Pokegama..... laugh

congrats barb, does it come complete with diploma and capt hat? smilelaugh

cool - can I wear it when I drive your boat?

and does being a captain mean you will remember to put the drain plug in - whistle

cool - can I wear it when I drive your boat?

and does being a captain mean you will remember to put the drain plug in - whistle

Fortunately for me, the pontoon doesn't have a drain plug crazy

VERY COOL Barb! I'd be super nervous but I bet you'll be an awesome pontoon Captain. Get pics with your hat on too. Capt. Lambjam has such a nice ring to it! laughlaughlaugh

Barb, I'm proud of you! I love the seniors too! just haven't done what you have with them,, what a great thing to do!!!

Sue

lambjm -

Take a look at another post on the FM board -- the link is below.

I got to thinking that perhaps there are lots of folks who have gear they don't use that could help those who may not have gear. I'm wondering if your crew is pretty well equipped? Also, the seniors' TOON in the Manitou Days paraded in White Bear was pretty darn impressive!!

-erik

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1926048#Post1926048

Theirs is exactly like ours. We are using mostly rods and reels that were donated by someone. They are the generic closed faced reels which is easier for most of the seniors, but they are the cheap ones. We mostly use plain hooks and bobber set ups. It would be kind of hard trolling with 8 people fishing. Of all our excursions this summer (at the present time over 80) only a third are fishing, the rest are mostly cruising around the lake enjoying the scenery.

Good to know. That said, if you are ever short on hooks and bobbers shoot me and email-- eboxmeyer(at)arrow(dot)com

I have a couple little ones at home so I unfortunately don't necessarily have as much time as I'd like to donate but a friend of mine is active in the Chisago/Lindstrom area and I think what you're doing is awesome!!