• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

home renovations

panthrcat

I may have mentioned somewhere that we were thinking of doing some renovations to our house,, here are a few things we have found upon gutting the basement to get at wiring issues we knew weren't up to code.

pathetic huh?

this orange plug in, goes to a box to feed the overhead light in the bathroom, this was tucked away in the closet, we didn't see it when we bought it till later

IMG_2650copy.jpg

here's it's tied together

IMG_2662copy.jpg

into a box to service a switch

IMG_2653copy.jpg

tacked nicely in place doncha think???

IMG_2651copy.jpg

here is under our picture window, we replaced the window, and found this rotted drywall, which obviously had been water damaged in the past, and covered over with cedar...

IMG_2632copy.jpg

a wire that has been tied into a plug in (behind the drywall,,) if you look down in the lower section you'll see where the mud has been liberally placed there,, so it looks as though this was an afterthought, and instead of removing the drywall, they took a hammer to it, and stole from this plugin.. this wire was then run along the bottom of the wall to service the breezeway.

IMG_2644copy.jpg

and this is the shot of the wonderful wiring job done (this was as we found it)

IMG_2647copy.jpg

these next two, are the backside of the drywall I took off,,, you can see in the one where there's mold on the top, and a pile of gunk on the bottom where they gobbed it up to cover it

IMG_2648copy.jpg

IMG_2649copy.jpg

and THIS in behind a drywall wall in the basement!!!!! we couldn't believe our eyes!!

IMG_1666copy.jpg

a>

I appreciate all your comments on my situation,, and thankfully nothing has gone up in smoke thus far,, we're just around the corner of getting all the wiring re-done, so hopefully I'll be able to sleep better at night now.

we got new windows, insulation on the outside of the house, new siding, eves, sofit and facia, new entryway into the house, newly renovated kitchen with new cupboards, all new bathroom, fresh paint throughout (with any blemishes in existing drywall repaired) new flooring and new window covers,, it's going to be wonderful when all done! hubby and I are gonna plug away at the basement as we find the time,, I do drywalling for fun,, have done it for friends,, so that's not going to be that big a deal,, did I mention our new bedroom? gonna be moved into the basement,, and it's gonna be 12' x 24' laugh

I just wished we found all this stuff before the window of opportunity was gone to sue the rascals <-- can't use anything stronger than that, but I really really want to! lol

Sue

At least you found it panthr, and fixing it so you won't go up in flames. But yes, this is perfect example why there are codes. I have learned to like them, actually. I am just DIY'er, but I do it right, or try to and have plenty of friends who make sure I do wink

Enjoy the new big BR! Nice.

Wow, that is insane. I thought I saw some junk when I did my basement, but that is pathetic. Junction boxes are what, fiftey cents to a couple of bucks? How do you put wires right up against drywall and insulation like that. I'm glad you found it and are getting it taken care of. That's some ungly and scary stuff for sure.