• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Grizz and 59.5 flathead

anyfishanytime

NTW, it always amazes me that there is a Fishing Minnesota angle to every story grin

I have a few older pictures with me holding a few big fish like that too. It sure seems like a logical thing to do as they make great handles.

I can't say I would put that fish at 60 though, but it's so hard to tell by pictures. Did they maybe at least get a length on it?

No matter really, everyone in the boat has a great story to rekindle from time to time. That is what it's all about anyways.

NTW, it always amazes me that there is a Fishing Minnesota angle to every story grin

I have a few older pictures with me holding a few big fish like that too. It sure seems like a logical thing to do as they make great handles.

As I said... Sunday School...... Having fished with you and landed many trophy fish....With you..... I know that you are not promoting this type of hold saying its "logical and they make great handles?" as much as it might seem for those that don't know better... Could you show/explain for the record the correct way to handle a large fish.... for all the people who are working and yet not had the pleasure/honor/enlightenment of landing a big fish yet.....

wink

I'm not bashing the Gris... and I can see you trying to do your job as an admin..... I think a little clarification for all might be in order, on the proper way to handle a trophy fish.... You got the pics of the big ones since your early days that would help us all out. wink

Originally Posted By: dtro

As I said... Sunday School...... Having fished with you and landed many trophy fish....With you..... I know that you are not promoting this type of hold saying its "logical and they make great handles?" as much as it might seem for those that don't know better... Could you show/explain for the record the correct way to handle a large fish.... for all the people who are working and yet not had the pleasure/honor/enlightenment of landing a big fish yet.....

wink

I'm not bashing the Gris... and I can see you trying to do your job as an admin..... I think a little clarification for all might be in order, on the proper way to handle a trophy fish.... You got the pics of the big ones since your early days that would help us all out. wink

Somebody hasn't been paying attention:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...ath#Post1800015

I will also add that I’ve gone on record at another particular site in which the mod and or pro staff there was holding every fish this way. I think there is a big difference between the two. One is representing the Catfish community and the other just happened to hook into one while targeting roughfish. smile

I will also add that I’ve gone on record at another particular site in which the mod and or pro staff there was holding every fish this way. I think there is a big difference between the two. One is representing the Catfish community and the other just happened to hook into one while targeting roughfish. smile

Your are correct sir.... I'm not bashing anyone... if that is what its coming out as.... Sorry.

This is a perfect opportunity to show proper technique, considering that there is photo floating around with a High profile person..... And... Given all the intense recent interest generated by the KOTC with many newcomers to this sport, we want to make sure that fish are being properly handled.

Originally Posted By: dtro

Your are correct sir.... I'm not bashing anyone... if that is what its coming out as.... Sorry.

This is a perfect opportunity to show proper technique, considering that there is photo floating around with a High profile person..... And... Given all the intense recent interest generated by the KOTC with many newcomers to this sport, we want to make sure that fish are being properly handled.

Couldn't agree more smile

laugh Good times.

I hear what LFC and Dtro are saying. Very wise men when it comes to flats. Now I have not seen the image as of yet but I am sure I know what it looks like. I commend the Grizz for the release but at the same time question why he did not (or could still) apply for a line record via witness and image? Oh well not my issue to be concerned with.

As far as the holding issue. All you can do is hope the Grizz and people like him take notice at the below thread:

Please click here and read if you hold Flatheads by the gills or are new to catfishing! Thanks you! smile

A wise man once told me “A man who knows everything needs to learn more”. As much as the Grizz is a true MN fishing legend I am sure he learns something new every year on the river if not every trip. Plus (IMHO) the proper way that I think a flathead should be held (learned from reading in here myself) looks much better (cooler wink ) in a picture or image than they old grab the gills and hoist pose wink

No measurements either... Shack, I think he was turned off by the paperwork required. That or he just didn't care about the record. Sounds like he wouldn't have been entitled to it anyway.

One thing to bear in mind, and you guys have touched on it, is that nobody in that boat was a "cat" fisherman. They were all walleye fisherman and apparently that seemed like the right way to handle that catfish. Not saying that is correct (I cringed too!) I like how you turned it into an opportunity to discuss the proper method.

On another note, I remember seeing a walleye fisherman catch a 25lb+ flathead on the river years ago only to hang it on a tree at a friend's house as a cruel joke. Nobody made any comment about that being wrong because it was regarded as a rough fish. I can see the culture of fisherman changing to become more respectful of all fish and forums like these have definitely increased the speed of change. Good thing!

You are correct NTW. For a long time the catfish were considered just another roughfish. With all the interest in these fish in the last years, many things have changed including how they are looked at and the handling of these fish.

Catch and release is very important as these bifg flats take years to grow to these record sizes.