• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Grizz and 59.5 flathead

anyfishanytime

Did anyone else see the pic of "the grizz" last sunday in the St. Paul paper? (last page of the sports section). He is holding a huge flathead, says it was 59 1/2 lbs and that he caught it on 6lb test line.

I'm pretty new to catfishing but that seems just a little hard to believe, I have never caught one even close to that (soon?) but I have seen the videos on here from dtro of huge fish being caught and that does not look like something I would want to try with 6lb mono.

Plus I think he kept it because he was going to apply for a line class record.

...Or maybe it was floating on the surface and he snagged it. I am trying to imagine a 50+ # weight on a 6# line, with no current or struggle I can't see how he could have done this, unless the cat made a suicide run and swam to him.

If it's for real (The Griz is a respected member of the community, I certainly mean no disrespect) then kudos to him for a job well done.

I do agree it's a shame that the animal had to die. frown

The channel in my avatar was 17# and I brought him in on a walleye rod with 8# test... THAT was a 20 minute fight!

I caught about a 20-25 pound channel in fast water up in Winnepeg on 8 pound... you COULD get a big fish in on light line, if there weren't any obstructions. Can land anything if you got a big net and you're on a sandy bottom

I've heard of people catching 400+lb sailfish on 4lb line, so yes, it can be done.

As far as him keeping the fish, good for him. I fish Winnie a ton, or least use to, and was fortunate enough to meet him out there on a couple of occassions. The Griz invented snap-jigging which is now extremely popular in the early season. He's a heck of a guy and a great sportsman. I'm so tired of people putting other people down for keeping a huge fish that's in season. I've released alot of nice fish in my day, but if something that is a catch of a lifetime decided to eat what I had to offer, she's going home with me and going on the wall. I think it's the greatest compliment to a fish. Live a good, long life and live on forever on someone's mantle. Sure, if it's out of season or caught illegaly you have a reason to gripe, but if everything's kosher, lay off.

If anyone knows how to do it, it would be 'The Griz'.

Larry Dahlberg did a "Hunt for Big Fish" episode with The Griz walleye fishing on the Miss and they were swapping stories about all the flatheads they've accidentally hooked and landed on walleye gear. I thought Griz said they had a day on the St Croix where they landed 23 flatties or so all the way into the upper 40lb class on 6lb mono with a jig & minnow.

You can't doubt the griz, but I am disappointed if he kept it. Guess what, I have just as much right to gripe as he does to keep it. So I will. It is unfortunate if he did keep it to see those genes get taken out of the pool. But I can also see why a guide might want to keep a fish and get his name in the books. But it isn't like he needs it. He's a legend. My brother said he heard about it on Sunday and he said he brought it to the landing and took pictures with kids, but nothing about keeping it.

6lb test, that's crazy, but I'd see no reason to doubt the story considering the source. And I believe he is Polish. Poles don't lie.

If anyone knows how to do it, it would be 'The Griz'.

Larry Dahlberg did a "Hunt for Big Fish" episode with The Griz walleye fishing on the Miss and they were swapping stories about all the flatheads they've accidentally hooked and landed on walleye gear. I thought Griz said they had a day on the St Croix where they landed 23 flatties or so all the way into the upper 40lb class on 6lb mono with a jig & minnow.

I saw this episode a few weeks back. It was pretty good. Larry also said something to the effect of how his folks wouldn't let him fish for ski's until they caught there limit in eye's....Then said something to the effect of the only thing walleye are good for is table fare and it didn't seem like The Griz liked that comment too much. I enjoyed Larry's honesty and got a kick out of it.

As for The Griz landing a flat like that....You bet I believe it. He's got the river figured out. wink

I heard about this as well. i was watching tv last night and he was fishing for eyes on the river in st.paul and he was saying he had caught these huge catfish on light line. he was going for a record or something for like biggest fish on light line.

It can be done though especially if you hook it right in the lip and the line isnt in the catfished mouth, then the fight is on! i have caught sever big fish while panfishing with my ultra light and 4 lb test! It sure is fun! smile

You wanna talk about what you can land on what # line,Try this, we did a couple years ago.next time you are at a pool or swimming anywhere tie a line to a belt loop or anywhere you can on your shorts, we did this with 6 # line.with the drag set correct for the # line it will blow you away with how tired you will get just with someone fighting you as you try and keep swimming from your friend with the rod/reel.

You wanna talk about what you can land on what # line,Try this, we did a couple years ago.next time you are at a pool or swimming anywhere tie a line to a belt loop or anywhere you can on your shorts, we did this with 6 # line.with the drag set correct for the # line it will blow you away with how tired you will get just with someone fighting you as you try and keep swimming from your friend with the rod/reel.

I'll take your word for it. wink

That sounds like fun, why have I never thought of it????

I've gotta try it sometime.

is there a record for cathcing snappers on light line? haha i hooked a 40 pound snapper will fishing for crappies one spring and got it in and removed the hook. seems like once every 5 years i hook well snag one its a blast.

iceman

My dad was fishing with him that day, it's for real. If I remember right, he said they did not weigh the fish. The fight was about a half hour and consisted of the grizz following the fish upstream about 150yds and then back down to about the same spot it hit. He released the fish after deciding that there was just too much paperwork involved in a record that didn't have a ton of value to him.

Here are some pics

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

I,ve met the Griz many times up at Terry's on Millacs. He sure is a class act. I believe he can catch anything he wants anytime he wants. My 12 year old daughter thinks he's the best. Emily said if there was anyone to go fish with it will be The Griz. And she does know how to fish....

He released the fish after deciding that there was just too much paperwork involved in a record that didn't have a ton of value to him.

I knew it. I didn't think he would have kept it.

Looks like a legend? I think it is funny that some people still don't know who he is. I guess it is because he is a quiet legend. He doesn't seem like a self promoter. But I have never met him, so I rely on second hand accounts.

I'll call it 45lb nice fish none the less Griz!

I'll call it a 40 maybe..... With some one as experienced as the Gris... I'll call Sunday School with the gill rip/hold.

Don't get me wrong... He is as legendary as they come to Walleyes and other river stuff.... but that last pic. makes me and every other experienced river fisherman cringe with a hold like that.

Lets let this thread RIP