• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MinnKota Rattles in Bracket at Idle

solbes

Question

I've got a 55# AP Powerdrive that rattles horribly in the quick release bracket when the boat is idling or trolling slow with the main motor. My dealer installed some spacers, maybe 3/8 or 1/2", in between the bow deck of my Lund and the MinnKota quick release bracket. I use a washer and lock washer to firmly secure the motor to the bracket, but it doesn't seem to help.

Anyone else experience this? I'm assuming the spacers were to reduce some of the vibration translated to the trolling motor, but I'm considering taking them out. I've also thought about putting something else in between the deck and bracket to help dampen the vibration. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

6 answers to this question

I can't imagine the vibration coming from the plate that is secured to the boat with bolts. I'd guess its the play between the two plates. Test that by putting a shim between them. Just don't force it in there to the point of bending the plate.

If it turns out that is where the rattle is coming from then you'll need to be creative. Remove just 1 of the 4 the rubber washers and replace it with with a thinner one. Your testing here so just tighten that bolt till it starts to warp the plate a little. Slide the motor on and see if that took up the slop or warped the plate too much. The object is to not bend the plate, just flex it. That'll take a little adjusting the size washer till you get it till you can tighten the nut till its tight.

Mine did that and it ended up being the result of a bent prop shaft on my motor. It would not rattle until I engaged the motor so it did not rattle just idling but engaged at idle speed and at low speeds it did rattle(probably rattled at high speeds too but could not hear it as a result of the motor noise). Just something else to check if your syptoms are similar. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the replies. My symptoms are similar, but the motor is an 08 with maybe 15 hrs on it. Unless it was bent from the factory, it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll try the warping the plate thing that Frank mentioned. Just wonder why my old Powerdrive w/ bracket didn't do this. That was an old 2 stroker that seemed to vibrate more.

Another nice feature you can add on is a trolling motor mount made by several companies where you can support the head/shaft of the unit on the gunwhale so there isn't as much bounce. It has made a huge diffence in ours especially when trailering and bouncing across the chop. Extra support is always a good thing!

Solbes, how old is the Minnkota? Reason I ask is that inside the housing are rubber pieces that help "keep it tight" for the deploy/release mechanism. They will get old and harder, and start to crack. If they get too cracked they will fail and then the motor will not stay in the cradle. Something else to check. You can get them cheap at any place that services MK, we always keep spares now... smile

You also need the little aluminum "washers" that go on the sides of these rubber "bushing", not sure of the correct term for them. Just take the side plate off and you will see them, and if they might be the cause. Good luck.

Good point, Musky. I have seen those, but had forgotten about them. If all else fails that will be my fix.

Box, the Minnkota is an 05 (found out through serial# at Minnkota), but somehow was sold as brand new when I bought the boat in summer of 08. Found out the hard way when I started looking at compatibility to bow sonars to my universal sonar. I've got a version one US. Anyway, the rubber pieces should still be good, but I'll check them out anyway.

I wonder insead of warping the plate, if I could just stick a composite shim in between the two plates to see if that helps. I've got a lot of these laying around from my deck.