• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First timer wants to take son deer hunting

Thanks again for all the info everyone. I've read through the whole thread quite a few times now and there is all kinds of good info.

We are heading back up next week to do some more scouting. Being 2 months from opener I think we are just looking for fresh trails ( deer only -- not people) and fresh scat. I'm thinking if they are frequenting an area now they will still be using it in Sep and Oct?

I picked up a Lone Wolf Wide also so we will do some more low light practice with that and elevated shooting next week.

I haven't committed to getting a trail cam yet but I'm thinking it would sure give us better chances. Why spend a morning in a spot just to find out the deer aren't there when a cam could have told you the same thing. My big question is, do the cheaper cams with the regular flash scare the deer? I don't want to get a picture of one if it means it's going to be too scared of that area now to come back.

Do the deer have daily, weekly, or moon phase patterns right now? i.e. if we see fresh scat in an area, does that make it likely that the deer returns to that area every day, week, or full moon? I'm thinking the trail cam is going to help me learn a ton about their behavior. I know the deer aren't held to any laws but my impression is they are creatures of habit -- is that fairly true?

On a completely different note. I bought my 6-year-old a $20 long-bow set last week so he could have some fun going to the range with me. Easily the best $20 I've ever spent. He loves it and he is having almost as much fun as I am. I've been hitting the range at least 3 times a week and usually bring at least one of the boys. I'm hitting an 8" paper plate 3 of 6 times at 30yds and 2 of 6 at 40. The encouraging thing is I feel I know a miss before it misses. i.e. I know if I jerked the bow without seeing the result.

Today when I got to the range I watched a guy shoot from 80yds and was placing about 18" groups. It was windy today too. Someday I'll be doing that smile I still can't believe how far back he was...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a stealth cam with flash and also cuddy backs with no flash the deer do not care, the cuddy back software makes it easier to veiw the photos so I have been buying more. Deer are a creature of habit that is till you disturb them and then the pattern changes just remember the deer will pattern you faster then you can pattern them. And on the scatt deer [PoorWordUsage] were they eat the more scat the more time they spend there.

If you are scouting this time of the year be sure to wear a ton of bug dope. A few years back I got smart and started scouting in the spring before the bugs and ticks were all over the place. You can also see much better when all the leaves are down.

Deer are often like people, every one is different, some get scared by the flash and never some back, some deer don't mind it a bit and seem to pose for the camera.

A lot of the time deer patterns change from summer to fall. Feed patterns can also change on a weekly for daily basis so if you can't scout the week before opener you basically have to take an educated guess at where the deer will be. Sometimes if just helps to be luck too.

I didn't check through all these posts so I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but the sherburne forest is loaded with nice deer. There's alot of hunting but if you don't mind hiking a ways back into the woods to get away from all the people, you'll have a good chance at a nice buck or some does.

If you are scouting this time of the year be sure to wear a ton of bug dope. A few years back I got smart and started scouting in the spring before the bugs and ticks were all over the place. You can also see much better when all the leaves are down.

Deer are often like people, every one is different, some get scared by the flash and never some back, some deer don't mind it a bit and seem to pose for the camera.

A lot of the time deer patterns change from summer to fall. Feed patterns can also change on a weekly for daily basis so if you can't scout the week before opener you basically have to take an educated guess at where the deer will be. Sometimes if just helps to be luck too.

The more I read this forum, the more I'm convincing myself to buy a camera. I'll probably end up getting one before next week to leave up there. What better way to learn patterns.

I was wondering if the bugs would be getting bad. Haven't seen much of horse flies yet and am just waiting for them to take over. They are about the only ones that drive me nuts. Looks like 50s at night next week so should be some nice sunrises for scouting. Hopefully the bugs aren't too bad in the cool morning air.

We were back up there this weekend. Did some more scouting and found a nice square of forest land with minimal access. We hiked about a 1/4 mile in and found a nice funnel where I setup our trail cam (Moultrie i40). Pretty nervous about leaving it out there but I think this is remote enough and it's 10' into the woods from the clearing. I also built a steel frame for it and cable locked it to the tree. At least now if anyone wants it, they will have to go through some work to get it.

The drizzle and rain Thursday and Friday sure made for some nice tracks in the sand and mud. If the amount of tracks and scat we saw up there is any indication, we might have a decent spot picked out. My son and I both agree that if we even see a deer while in the stand this year, we will consider it a success. I haven't actually hunted yet but it seems the scouting and planning is enough fun by itself.

Our next trip up is in 4 weeks. Hopefully we still have a camera there and some good pics on it. Thanks again to everyone on the forum. The daunting task of being a first-timer is definitely made easier from all your advice.

Well FWG it looks like you are well on your way to becoming a seasoned deer hunter. All you need now is a little experience and that will come with time and mistakes, and trust me you will make plenty of mistakes along the way but they help you become a better hunter. Good luck, have fun and enjoy the time in the woods with your son.

Edit: Also check the regs for this year, a couple of the area moved from Intentive/Managed to Managed/Lotto.

This is a great thread! Very informative for the beginners and fun to read to get the brain movin and get pumped for the up-coming season.

Good luck FishingWebGuy! You will have fun regardless of if you get deer or not. The experience will be unforgetable!

One suggestion I have, even though it may be too late, is if you get in an area where a buck spends his days during the rut, you should still be able to see old rubs and scrapes from last year. You'll have to look hard, but the signs will still be visable through the vegitation.

This area would be worth your time to sit in next fall or for sure get a camera set up in. Even if the buck that used it got shot last year, he was using it for a reason and I'd bet another buck will move in and take his place.

Arrrgh! I'm so pumped I can't even stand it!!!!!! smile

Thanks guys. We are waiting anxiously for the new regs to come out. If ours does go to lotto and we each bag our deer, we can always move to an intensive or managed area. That's what I like about our camping setup. Just wish the regs came out earlier so we could scout one area and stay there.

Right now it'd be cool to see a big buck walk past but we just want to see any deer and maybe have a shot at one. Anything 1-1/2+ year old is quality in our books smile

FWG, check-out the "new hunting regs" thread. lcornice has been kind enough to post a link to the 2009 deer permit area map.

Yea, I just found that. Looks like we will still be managed.

http://stmedia.startribune.com/documents/2009+PA+designations.pdf?elr=KArksi8cyaiUgOahccyiUiacyKUUs

We were up in the area again 2 weeks ago scouting. Found a lot more heavily used trails. Unfortunately the strap hole broke on my camera so we only have 5 days worth of pictures even though it was out for 40 days. It's mounted much better now so unless someone steels it or a bear swats at it, we should be good for pics on opener.

Here is a doe that I hope poses like this for us during the season.

3851993579_686a71c895.jpg

Any good way to guestimate age? To me the neck/brisket area looks small so maybe she is just a 1-1/2 year old???

And here is a little fawn.

3852787266_3526691ac2.jpg

I gotta say as we get closer to season opener I am getting more nervous. Especially since we plan to camp on the forest land we will be hunting. I guess my biggest concern is what if we setup camp in or near someones spot and [PoorWordUsage] them off?

I am hoping it's not as big an issue for archery. For firearms on the other hand, we will probably stay away from the camping on state land.

Hey FWG, probably was a bear attacking your camera, happens to me all the time up in that area.

Doe's are hard to age but I would guess the doe in your pic is older than 2.5, she has a fairly long body and will be bulking up a lot before winter.

I wouldn't worry about camping on state forest land any time, I see alot of that up there and haven't heard about anyone having problems, also not many other bow hunters so you should have the woods to yourself for the most part. You will run into bird hunters, but remember they are your friend and will move deer around. Many times I have seen deer and then shortly after a bird hunter comes wandering by, or I see the bird hunter first and as they move along the deer like to circle back around them so alwasy be ready when you see other hunters.

Thanks for the reassurance Bear! It's good to know it's common and accepted practice. The bird hunters won't bother me. I might be tempted to grab the 12ga and take a walk some days also. I flushed a grouse about 5-10 feet in front of me last time while walking through really thick cover -- nearly filled my pants.

We tested out our new setup last time we were up. It dipped down to 35* at night but we were toasty around 70* all night. Hopefully it will treat us well for the majority of archery season.

Maybe there are a lot of setups like this up there but if you see this one, stop on in.

3852400262_ba2704ddab.jpg

Nice looking camp. Sure looks relaxing. I jumped into this thread late. If your looking for a nice place to shoot your bow. Try southforteyrarchers.com they are in Lakeville west of Lake Marion. Beautiful range, Private, 3-D targets on a walk through course in a variety of terrain with treetands to practice from. You have to be a member. minimal fee.

Ya those grouse can scare the h*** out of you early in the season, once the leaves are down its much less of a problem. I always pack an extra arrow or two with field tips for grouse, its a good test for judging distance and accuracy. I have managed to bag quite a few grouse over the years with my bow. Its alwasy nice to come home with a little meat if the deer aren't moving. Of course when I am scouting or doing anything other than bow hunting the I alwasy have a shotgun with me because there is usually a decent number of grouse in the area.

I will be sure to stop in if I happen by your camp site, hopefully you or your son have a deer hanging.

MH57,

Thanks it is a very relaxing camp. South Forty looks nice and close. I think I'll give it a try next weekend. $10 for 30 3D targets sounds good to me.

Bear,

Yea, I'm really looking forward to taking a camp picture with deer hanging. My son is pumped about opener. He has a countdown going on the whiteboard by our garage door.

FishingWebGuy,

Where abouts are hunting? Let us know how you do.

We will mostly be up near Togo, MN but will also be near Baldwin, WI and hopefully Browerville and Castle Rock, MN. Togo is state land but the others are private.

I'd love to cap this thread off this fall with some pictures of our deer. Either way, I'll keep everyone posted.

He took the camera to school with him so I don't have the pictures right now. Will post them later here's a story...

I dropped him off at his stand at 5:15 Saturday morning. I've been building him up all summer on the fact that it may take a lot of sitting and you probably won't see many deer but the secret is good scouting and persistence. Many of his friends have been hunting for years but have never filled a tag and I told him it's probably because they sit for 2 hours, get bored and leave.

Anyhow, after 14-1/2 hours in the stand I hear him walking towards me yelling for me. When I respond he tells me he got one. I quickly climb down from my tree and we walk over to the area where he hit it. Being a smart kid he stuck an arrow in the ground marking the spot. He tells me which direction it ran and sure enough within a couple of feet are leaves covered in blood. We follow a nice blood trail for about 20 yards when it gets to some brush. Thinking the deer is probably in the brush we opt to give it some time and head back to camp for sandwiches and to grab our cleaning gear.

Now it's been an hour since he shot it and we check inside the brush and sure enough she had laid down were there was a big puddle of blood but had moved again -- probably when we were tracking earlier. We followed the trail for another 20 yards into some more thick brush and there she lay. A nice big doe. Not sure how old she was but all of her teeth were pretty worn.

Luckily it was 55* by now because it took me an hour to field dress it -- being my first one. Maybe sometime someone can explain all the air she had in her that was pushing the paunch tight to her hide. A couple hours later she was in the cooler and I had one excited boy.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I couldn't have wished for a better first time out for the boy.

That is great! I have been following your thread all summer and contributed some advise. It is really awsome that it worked out. You did all the homework and it paid off. Congrats to the both of you. smile