Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stick in Mud

Kayak Paddle Length

7 posts in this topic

As usually happens, internet searches for clear, consistent information have proven to be more confusing than useful. So, I'll ask the question here: How long should my kayak paddle be for my solo canoe? I've heard from folks that a kayak paddle works much better than a canoe paddle, so I'm going to try one out, but I can't figure out how long I should buy.

Any advice?

Just Google Kayak paddle length and you will have more answers then you know what to do with. I just looked and WOW.

I know...as I mentioned in the original post, I'm looking for a bit of clarity, not more confusion! crazy

Using a Kayak paddle in a canoe, Always look for the longer length since you are sitting so much higher above the water. Your arm stroke will determine another factor being how tall you are. Then remember to keep your shoulders level as you stroke to

keep your balance. Hope this helps you out.

Been a Canoe and Kayak user since 76. Have hundreds of miles on

both. Kayaks are far easier to paddle from experience I say this.

For a solo canoe, I'd suggest at least 230 cm, 240 is better if it's a wide canoe where you are sitting. If I could find a 250 or 260, I'd get it for my bow paddler.

I picked up 230 cm paddle last fall as a spare for my solo. I don't like it, my muscles are not accustomed to that type of paddling, I tired out real quick. That and the fact when you use a kayak paddle, you are going to get wet, drip rings or not. Not good when paddling in the spring or fall.

I'll give it a go a few more times but I think I'll probably end up picking up another canoe paddle for a spare.

What a variety of opinions...others I've spoken with have LOVED the kayak paddle. I tried it out and found it, apart from getting wet, more efficient than the canoe paddle.

Thanks all for you advice!