• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappies

The same for bluegills. In both cases the parental care involves cleaning and aerating the eggs and only a couple of days of herding the fry or only until they are about mobile enough to disperse.

Then the fry are on their own, and the sunfish may even spawn again, if the weather has been warm and stable enough, something crappies almost never do.

So well catching the bluegills with the nice orange belly's this last weekend, I realized the ones with the really orange belly were the males and the ones with a faded orange belly were females. I could tell after cleaning the males and seeing the females belly all huge, witch I would through back. But my question is how do you tell if a crappie is a male or female? Also how do you tell with other sunfish and perch?

me personally......I have been putting them back.......any fish that I have kept or the boat I am in have kept try to make sure fish with eggs get returned as with anything over 12.5" for crappies

they will spawn in the mid 60's but if the weather isn't right sometimes they won't drop their eggs and instead absorb them....the way the weather has been this spring I think we might see some of this

I kept 4 today and all had eggs in them.

water temp at 73f.

Must mean they are not gonna spawn this year

You might be using the temp on your sonar. That would be the surface temperature, deeper at 6-8 feet would be more accurate.

I am assuming.

river-rat4

I've caught a few lately that still had eggs in them. I think that just these fish didn't spawn, but since the whole crappie population doesn't all spawn at the same time I am sure there were a few if not lots of crappies that did spawn this year. It was a very inconsistant spring in terms of temps (Cold May and first 2/3s of June then HOT last 1/3rd of June)from how I remember it.

Just my 2 cents.