• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Beautiful St Croix Flathead Upgrade

SteveD

What a beautiful night to be on the river. Twins beat Boston - I land a good upgrade fish - you just know that all is right with the world. I'm so fired up right now I feel like heading out again tonight - the St Croix is putting out some big fish for this early in the season.

I picked up a beautiful 46# fish on the 22nd of May and it totally slimed my favorite yellow catfishing sweatshirt. My wife washed it all up and had it looking new again. I went out tonight and just slimed it all up again. When she wakes up in the morning and sees that sweatshirt in the wash she may just throw it away this time.

St Croix is in perfect shape right now for catfishing. Water is stable and almost at normal summer time pool elevation. Water temp tonight was 66 degrees. There is a light to moderate current in the main channel and the water is clear. Lots of baitfish showing up and the cat bite for channels and flats is going good.

I've been catching flatheads on bullheads and the bite has been very aggressive with long clicker screaming runs. I picked up both of tonights fish early with the small fish at 1930 and the big fish at 2040. There was very little boat traffic tonight which was a surprise as there were tons of big boats and cruisers out last week and over the weekend.

I saw the posting for the KOTC Weeklong Shootout. Bring it on!! That contest is a gas. I'm in for the shootout.

Here is a pic of tonights fish. He was 45" X 29" = 74 points:

45X2926May09.jpg

Beauty Steve! 209 is a very impressive total for May smile

I've got some nice fish so far but you aren't safe on the Green KOTC Leaderboard ever. Last year the lowest Green channel score was 153 and the lowest Green flathead score was 215. I'm going to need a couple of channel upgrades and at least one more big flat to start feeling safe. If you can capitalize on getting big fish during pre-spawn when the bite is hot I think you chances are much better. The post spawn bite is always hit or miss and much more challenging. Needless to say, lot of season left yet.

I sure am enjoying this hot spring bite right now. This is the best I have ever done this early in the season.

Another nice one Mr. Croix smile

I would also say you are having a great spring also. I guess if anyone could come close to the 70lb mark it would be Steve on the Croix. It could happen grin

Thanks Steve!