Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickelfarmer

Morels???

16 posts in this topic

This is my first year hunting morels and after finding and eating my first batch I'm hooked. I have looked on the web on almost every conceivable site for info on morels. It seems that most web sites are directed towards the southern parts of the midwest Iowa,Ill,Indiana,Wis. I'm just wondering a few things.

1.Are the blacks the first or last to come out?

2.Do the yellows and grays come at the same time?

3.Whats the time frame between the groups?

We found a few (blacks) about a week ago in the Detroit lakes area. I fryed them in butter and bread crumbs. I Re hydrated them in milk. THEY WERE AWSOME!!!!!!!

Blacks and grays are pretty much the same thing and they are the first to come up. You usually find the grays and yellows together a little wile after the first grays come up in kind of a change over. Eventually the grays disappear and you get all yellow, and with some good conditions the yellows start becoming huge. As it gets warmer and dryer the yellows will start drying out and stop producing and you are coming to the end of the season. Good luck I would think with you finding your first grays a week ago, you should be coming up on some good yellows if the moisture is right in your area.

Cool Thanks for the info. We went out Yesterday afternoon but no luck. I hope this last rain we had might get tehm going???

Nice find!! I see a lot of dirt balls still attached there!

Its best to remove those when you first pick them and before you toss them in a bag together because it makes cleaning and eating much more enjoyable.

It can be difficult to get all the sand/dirt/grit out of a morel if there's dirt with them in your mushroom bag.

If you cut them at the ground you don't disturb the mycélium, they sometimes can sprout off the same mycélium.

After looking at the ones you got Pickelfarmer I am wondering if the grays grow better and bigger then the grays down south. I have never seen grays that big where I hunt down in SE MN. I wonder if the cooler conditions north allow for the grays to grow better.

I don't know when you picked the ones in the pic but if they are recent and you found some a week ago I am wondering if the grays have a long cycle up there too. They seem to be there one day down south then the next all you find is yellows.

I'm also new to this and was wondering if the weather is dry like this year, do they produce when it rains or what happens?

thanks HTB

If you cut them at the ground you don't disturb the mycélium, they sometimes can sprout off the same mycélium.

Thats good info there. I'll do that for sure next year. And yeah I had to wash them off before I cooked them. Need to be a lot more carefull. I got a mesh bag now so that should help a little.

100_1780.jpg

Heres a pic of some that We got a few weeks ago.

Those are some true Gray/Black...a lot of what others are calling Gray are just underdeveloped Yellow/Brown...that's one crazy one in the middle...

If you found those some weeks ago, they may be done in that area...

As for the rain question, it's more of a moist ground question...if the ground is too dry, the yield seems to be much less, if at all...

yes it has been at least 2 1/2 weeks now. So you think there done here now? We looked in our area for a couple of weeks until we found these. We figured they just started as they were the first that we found. Maybe we just happend on a bunch of the last ones. Like I said we only have the one spot so far, but next year we are going to find another grin and then another grin Well you get the idea. Hope we do find more next year because these babys are ssssssssoooooooooo goood!!!!!

It's always possible more will pop after some moisture, but very unlikely...it is a small window, usually no more than a week, that they all go...

Best thing is to check with others in the area, and see if anyone else is still finding...

keep looking never trust anyone else on when to pick. i have picked til fathers day many years in minnesota.

Just wondering if anyone finds any yellows in central part of the state (Alexandria area) I find all kinds of blacks but have never found a single yellow. Do they just not grow as well here or what?

For this season I would guess with the lack of moisture, the season is over.

I agree with you harvey lee. I have went for walks about every other day for the last week and found nothing. I think its over for sure.