• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Minnetonka...where do I go?

fish catcher82

Just tried minnetonka yesterday for the first time. I just bought my first boat and decided to give it a try on the big lake. I dropped it in at Grays bay (I believe thats the name of the bay) but from there I was lost and didnt know where to head to catch some fish. I took a left, went under the channel, and started fishing all along my left side of the lake probably anywhere from 4-12 ft of water. I caught a small rock bass and a 9in black crappie. Loading in from Grays bay, is there anywhere I could go where I could have better success? I want to try the lake again in about a week or so but would like to have a better idea as to where to go. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

i have been going out there with not much success so i cant really help ya in that department lol...but the dnr has decent maps on the lakefinder...just go to the mn dnr HSOforum, and then lakefinder, and it will give you a maps option. there probably are 3 or 4 map links, just give them a try

good luck

I would get a map. When I used to fish Minnetonka I would go far up one of the narrower bays. I did it to get away from the crowds but we always seemed to find sunnies and bass.

Some maps have fishing spots on them. I have always found these helpful.

Like the others have said, get a map so you know where you are and what you're looking at. With a lake like Tonka with so many bays and so much diversity, it really is to your advantage to focus on smaller sections at a time and try to learn them as you go ---- it can be kind of overwhelming (and counter-productive) to go out there without a plan until you start to learn a bit about it. It's a great lake, I really like fishing it.

Easy to get lost even with a map on Tonka as you seldom have a bird's eye view and it is difficult to make out the channel locations sometimes. GPS makes me feel much better about getting my bearings as I move from one end of the lake to the other. Maxwell Bay also has a good landing and better proximity to the western bays than Grey's does.

Volumes could be written on this subject. My best advice is to approach Tonka the same way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. It's 15,000 acres and 100 miles of shoreline. You'll spend the first year trying not to get lost.

Just pick a bay any bay and learn everything you can about it. Cast it, jig it, troll it until you know it, then move on to another. It's a process and there's no shortcuts.

Good luck!