• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any to increase scooter speed?

greebs

we made the mistake of not shopping around before buying one of those chinese knockoff models last year. it's a 49cc and it is just a dog. it was advertised that it could go low to mid 30's but 25 is about tops.

someone suggested an aftermarket exhaust system but those that I've see on the net are about $300 bucks and I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money without knowing if it will make much difference. any other options? I believe aftermarket exhaust also voids the warranty but the warranty we got was only one year anyhow so it's gone already.

someone else mentioned opening up the current exhaust but imagine that would just make it a louder dog than it currently is and I don't know if it would do any good. I don't expect it to ever go 40 mph but if it could get up to 32 or 33 that sure would help.

200 lbs is not fat wink so watch your tonque "skinny", hehe...

Find in the manual (if you got one) what the rpm range is, and you might be able to adjust the carb or find a governer setting on it that you could get a bit more rpms from. You don't want to go too high though, or that thing will blow! Good luck.

The reason I ask about the 2 or 4 stroke is that on a 2 stroke they do restrict the exhaust on them to reduce speed. What you drill out will not make it louder the restriction is right where it bolts to the head. Yes it could be a 2 stroke with oil injection. They also will put a spacer in the clutch to keep it from closing all the way, that would also reduce your speed.

I have a couple of the china scooters and they will do about 35 on a good day.

I also have a 2000 Honda 2 stroke that was a dog until we drilled out the exhaust.

so is it as simple as pulling off exhaust where it connects to head and drilling that out if it's restricted? (probably not that simple for a knothead like myself...)

If it is a 2 stroke!!!! That is where I would start. IF it is a 4 stroke then I would look more into the clutch area. I do have a .pdf service manually for the 4 stroke china models. It might not fit your model perfect but it should be close and help you out.

I can email it to you but you have to make sure that your email will handle 20.5 meg. send me a email at (dghaman at arvig dot net) and I can give it a try.

Beware that when you start allowing more flow through the exhaust you will most likely need to change the rate of fuel delivery. That could require a trip or two to the parts store to buy new jets for the carb/s. If you drill out the exhaust you may not even be able to have the thing idle without the choke on. Come to think of it, have you checked the flow of fuel to the carb/s? Even at wide open throttle you may not be getting enough fuel due to small/clogged and too many fuel lines/valves. You could also consider changing the rear sprocket to 1 or 2 teeth smaller if you want to go faster. May not be a bad idea to sell it and buy a different one now that you have a data point from which to extrapolate.

I have a scooter for my kids. When I bought it they asked the highest weight of the kid using it. They were then able to play with the Govern thing and go with that.

I outweigh my daughter and can still reach speeds of 40mph or so on it so they have to be very careful not to go over 35.

My daughter gets about 120 miles per gallon but if my son is riding it, he gets about 95 mpg

What is the brand?? I did it to my dads scooter just by pulling a wire.

We used to do that with golf carts smile Bypass the old governer, ha! Be careful not to blow the engine though, ha!

Originally Posted By: Ryan_V

We used to do that with golf carts smile Bypass the old governer, ha! Be careful not to blow the engine though, ha!

yeah, dads was really doggy, would only do about 20. It's not like he wanted to go 60 down the highway, just wants to be able to keep up with traffic in town!!! when I got on it and opened her up, that engine really screams!!

Originally Posted By: Ryan_V

so what wire did you pull?

Honestly, not sure smile I did a lookup on line and found it. I believe it was a blue wire that was behind the "dash". try a google search with you make/model and see what you find, it's out there somewhere!!