Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
St_Croix_Banks

Raised Vegetable Box

6 posts in this topic

I was going to build a raised veggie box for my 5 yr old daughter to plant in this year. Plan to use cedar planks for sides but wondered what I should use for bottom. I'm guessing treated plywood is not a good option since the chemicals could leech into the the soil. Any thoughts? How about oriental board?

How far are you going to raise it? In my raised planters, I just have dirt on the bottom. Maybe I'm thinking of something different than you. Cedar for retaining the dirt on the sides and nothing underneath. Dang, if I could get a woman to dress like that, I'd have it made.

Oriented strand board (OSB)may not work for you. There's not a lot of strength if you would be laying it flat for the bottom. If I understand you plan on building a table covered with dirt held in by cedar sides? Why not use one of those cheap tables with the white plastic top and build a frame out of cedar that just sits on the table?

Or, just put it on the ground. She's only 5, can't be that big a reach.

Yes, I think I"ll just put it right on the ground instead with about 12" sidewalls. The more people I hear from say I don't need to be concerned about treated wood nowdays since its not arsenic in it, just amonia.

Veg garden, I'd make a raised bed out of treated 4x4s stacked up and corners lapped on the ground. Predrill the corners and use rebar or spikes. She can work the dirt, plant, and then weed all summer long. Plant a variety of things she likes to eat. Mix it up so she can harvest throughout the growing season instead of waiting for everything at Fall Harvest time.

Along with that you can buy plastic window boxes. 3'x8" or whatever. Plant with flowers or herbs, well anything that won't get top heavy for the container. Set that on deck railing.