• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lots of action tonight

harvey lee

The flats were feeding tonight.

Fish one I hooked up with was more than I could handle. It hit and ran and I tried to stop it before it got to the wood pile in the river and it just peeled line of my 7000 like nothing after a 10 minute battle. I was sick as I know this was a good fish for my KOTC score.

Then 10 minutes later, another smashing hit and the battle began. It went out in the current in the middle of the river and I could do nothing with it but hold on. After 5 minutes or so, it made a huge run and the line was really ripping off the reel. Then nothing, I reeled in and one of my new Kahle 10/0 hooks was almost as straight as a pin. Thats was number two missed.

Then I missed 3 staright hits as they just drilled the bully and they were gone before I could get the rod out of the holder.

Now the fun began, I caught the next 5 fish and the weights were 19,23,26,29 and 31 pounds. I didn't measure them but only checked their weight. No measurements as they were not large enough for the KOTC.

Man I wish I could have at least seen the 2 big ones I lost. The 1st one I could do nothing with but hold on.

Back at it tomorrow evening.

All the fish came along a current seem in 8fow above a 18' hole. There was also quite a bit of wood along the shore in the shallows. Lots of baitfish out tonight and the gar were chasing them like crazy.

I hear ya the bite is on. The last three time's i have been out we have hooked 12 fish with 2 over thirty. And we also missed over ten fish. This was all within a 4 hour period with a couple 20's and mid teens mixed in each time. Plus we have only been out 5 times this year, all within the last week and a half. I have a feeling it's going to be a fun summer grin

I have been catching decent amounts but nothing big yet...Harvey Lee if you ever have an open seat and are willing to bring out a young guy let me know. I'm in Mankato and it's so hard to get a decent spot with the crowds of people along the banks.

Wow, did you save that Kahle hook for a keepsake? I would like to see the pressure/torque envolved with straightening a 10/0.....better yet I would like to see the beast that inflicted the damage. Maybe rd.2 will be tomorrow for you. Nice night!

I went back to the GamaKATSU 10/0 right after that and anyone that wants about 90 of those Kahle hooks can have them and I will ship them to them.

This fish was huge. I could do nothing with it and I could not believe the hook was straight. At least my knots were good.

I wish I could have at a minimum saw the fish.

This was my 11th outing this year and the first night I caught a fish. It was about time. Now we will see if I can go out 3-4 straight nights and last through it. Four nights last week with nothing.

Maybe tonight I can have another shot at this beast.

Everyone needs a "one that got away" story to bring a whole new level of respect to these fish.

I've got one of my own, thats where "Mr Breakoff" came from. That night haunted me for over a year before I redeamed myself.

When you fish a lot like a lot of the guys on the forum here, a night on the water becomes routine after awhile. Sure ain't for me this year but thats beside the point.

Its always a good reminder to check those knots, retie often, check those hookpoints, check reel drag settings, etc. One small mistake will be exposed when that "fish of a lifetime" hits. Always have to be ready for him.

Get back out and hook him again, eh?

I never though that a hook would straighten out though. The Kahle hook has way less in diameter than my Gamakatsu hooks and I will be staying with them. A guy tries different gear at times to maybe find something that may be a bit better and I believe I now know that my Gamakatsu hooks will stay at the business end of my line.

I will be back out tonight in search of that KOTC fish.

That's too bad on those hooks Tom. I've learned a few things about the Kahle hooks already in the times I've been out this year as well.

I won't use anything smaller than a 7/0 for Channels and nothing smaller than 8/0 for Flats.

I've also seen some hooks come back that have been misshaped.

There really is no perfect hook. With a larger wire diameter hook, you lessen your chance of having it straighten out or break, but also increase the chances of killing your bait from the abuse it takes. The hooking percentage and penetration also takes a hit.

It also makes a difference in the type of cover/structure you are fishing. If you are in a heavily wooded area with no room to let the fish go anywhere, then you want to have that drag cinched down and a beefy hook.

In other open areas, you can back off the drag a bit and not have any fear of having a hook straighten or break.

It really comes down to what you feel comfortable using and it may just turn out that I go back to using the Gamakatsu hooks as well.

I agree in open water in the river with no wood, these hooks maybe ok. Issue I have is there is wood in the river that one cannot see and the Gammy hooks seem to be a more well built sturdy hook for any wood or other structure.

I was just really bummed when I saw the hook after I lost the fish. Even with the current, that fish pulled like nothing I have ever hooked into before other then 1 sturgeon on the Rainy.

many years ago I straightend out a kahle hook on a big cat and have not used them since except under a tip up for pike.

Its a pretty sinking feeling when you know the fish is big and then all of a sudden nothing thinking that you may have been broke off then reel in and find out that your hook is straight as an arrow.

I've liked the hooks I've tried, they are small in comparison, 5/0 45 degree true turn and I've caught my two biggest fish on a cc 6/0 offset J both real strong hooks but small. I figure I'll get the most realistic action from a bait thats not carrying a boat anchor on it's back and this is if it matters to Flathead or Channel anyway.