• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trim angle when cruising?

Dan L

Just curious what others have the trim angle at when cruising at that 4000 RPM range. I know that at WOT the trim is usually all the way up. My motor starts to lose grip when I get a little over half trim at the 4000rpm range. Just curious if that is typical on aluminum boats.

I trim the motor all the way out (up), and if it cavitates or the bow bounces I bump the tirm in (down) just enough for it to run good (highest rpms for that throttle position).

Your prop style and motor height will affect how much you can trim your motor for that throttle setting. As long as it runs good at WOT I wouldn't worry about the trim setting at 4000 rpms.

What I was told when not running WOT is that you are looking at staying dry. So, you want to trim it up so that the side spray is behind you as much as possible and your bow is not bashing into the waves. You want to be skimming over them. It's a feel thing. You will know.

It's all by feel and every boat/motor combo can be different. Just like the others mentioned, trim out until you either get porpoising or ventilation (prop starts breaking free and engine starts to rev higher) then bring it in until it stops doing either.