• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used boat shopping

hookjunior

I am looking at buying a used boat and I found one that I kinda like. It's a 1988 smokercraft fazer 170 with a 100hp mariner. Just wondering if any has any opinions on the boat or motor. I am trying to find a boat that is good fishing but can also pull kids on a tube. The boat I have now has a 70hp evinrude could anyone tell me about how much more fuel the 100 would use over the 70? I

Hook, I've got an 88' 45hp. Mariner and it's been a great engine. She run's a little smoky but it's a good engine. Mine had fuel injection but I've heard mixed reviews on the first few years they had the technology so I just pre-mix my oil. I can't really comment on the other questions but hopefully someone will chime in. Good luck.

With the 50 hp mercury you might have a difficult time finding a trim and tilt kit for it, unless you purchase a used one off another motor.

Fuel consumption on the 100 will be more than the 70 (obviously), but I wouldn't think by leaps and bounds. A lot of it has to do with how hard you're working the motor. A prime example - a friend has a 140 hp (albeit 4 stroke and efi) motor, and the other friend has a 90 HP evinrude (2 stroke, non efi). Both boats weight about the same, the 140 hp boat might weigh a little bit more.

The 90 HP motor burns more fuel to run with the 140 across the lake because it has to work harder (a little underpowered) to keep up, and has to run at full throttle more.

Granted, we're kind of comparing apples and oranges here, but the comparison is still valid.

So, it all depends on how the rig is balanced. With the rig you've described I don't think the difference will be leaps and bounds different.

marine_man

Just a reminder. If you're buying a used boat, try and find one from a private party. You will not have to pay tax on the boat/motor itself, just on the trailer (and it's legal too!).

I bought a sweet setup from a great guy down in Hastings last fall and went up to my county licensing center later that week with a big wad of cash to pay the taxes with and they told me all I had to pay on was the trailer. I was so shocked I told her the actual book value of the trailer. I paid $84.00 for a $9000+ package.

There are enough guys out there who take care of their stuff and are selling only so they can upgrade that I will never set foot in a dealer again. When I was looking, I saw boats from that model year all the way down to the early '80's (you know, you can make drift socks out of your left-over parachute pants). If you take your time, do your research, are willing to e-mail for extra pictures, maybe travel a little bit, and ask 1000's of questions you can get exactly what you want and save $750.00 per 10k you are spending.

It looks like it's a bass boat style aluminum boat - shallow floor, etc.

I'm not sure what you're after when it comes to performace, but I don't think it's underpowered given how shallow it is.

Ride will be ok... on choppy water will be somewhat rough given the shallow depth of the boat.

You're best bet is to contact the seller and as for a water test, and see what you think.

marine_man

It looks like it's a bass boat style aluminum boat - shallow floor, etc.

I'm not sure what you're after when it comes to performace, but I don't think it's underpowered given how shallow it is.

Ride will be ok... on choppy water will be somewhat rough given the shallow depth of the boat.

You're best bet is to contact the seller and ask for a water test, and see what you think.

marine_man