• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Making bucktails??

I'm trying to make my own muskie bucktails. I bought some wire shafts with the looped end and a round nose pliers. The problem that I'm having is making the other looped end when I'm done putting everything on the wire shaft. I can't seem to make the wire wrap around the shaft nice and tight and the loop isn't perfectly round. Anyone have advice????????

grab the wire real good with a needle nose or needle nose vise grips and start to get your loop, then if you pound a nail into a stud or something you canget your loop to look like a loop/you may have the flip from on side to the other to get the shape/size right- then take your loop put it into a tabletop vise and crank the tag end around with .062 wire, if you leave a 5-7" tag its easyer to twistaround. and while you twist angle the tag back in towrds the loop and this will tighen the loops around the shaft. the only way to trim effectivly is with a dremel, if you add shrink wrap to the rear treble it dont matter if its round or not, only you knows it not round- this is how I make the loops on my double 10's. I usally leave about a half inch between my rear coil/or rear weight and the loop other wise there is binding issues on the clevis's, and if you havent made them before make sure you have some room between you blades and the flashabou/marabou/bucktail, otherwise the blades will get into the dressing. and if you shrinkwrap the rear treble it keeps the treble inline with the lure, helps with hook ups- and for cheaper coils- go to the hardware store and get throtle cable and take the coating off the coil/ and use the carolina egg sinkers for weights, nail polish works for thread cement, and for the best prices check out lurepartsonline.com-good luck

Lonewolf,

I would suggest going doing a search online for Heckler Tackle, he's got a tutorial that shows basically how to wrap the wire. I tie mine slightly different but get the same result. I don't use pliers to wrap, only to hold the loop while wrapping. The key is to leave a longer tag end like lunge mentions, which makes it much easier to wrap.

Post some pictures of your tails, I'd love to see em. It's always a rush to see fish checking out your creations. Good Luck.

I did mine with an old piece of 2x4 and a few nails, it's very easy to wrap the wire around the nail (big framing nail) and the take it off and use the needle nose to finish the wrap.

I pretty sure the guys that are building them professionally have bought and modified the Bogg's wire former to accept the larger diameter wire.

good luck