• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mailing fish

Scoot

Question

15 answers to this question

I have never shipped fish but I have shipped some lefse. I froze it first then wrapped it in reflectix insulation until it was tight in the box. I also lined the inside of the box with a couple layers. After I got it completely packaged I put the whole box in the freezer until I took it to the post office. I shipped it priority, which took a few days to get to California. It was still almost completely frozen when it got there.

Send it to me Scoot, I'm hungry for some fish. It will cost less to ship as I am much closer.

I suppose that's true! LOL However, this poor guy doesn't have a walleye within many hundreds of miles of him, so I took pity on him. Given that you can probably get walleyes easier than me and will enjoy doing it, I'll send them to the poor bugger in Nevada!

$70!!! mad It cost me $70 to ship about a pound of walleye to Nevada!!!!!!!!!!!!! eeksickfrown I UPS'd it overnight and I picked the CHEAPEST of the overnight options. I very nearly walked out of the store with my fillets in hand, but they'd already packed up the fish in their packing and it was ready to go. I also had already told the recipient of the fish I was on my way to UPS to send it off. Oh well, lesson learned I guess... blush

One could have used the U.S. mail and used their Flat Rate box for about $6.00. Could have wrapped it up with a little dry ice and newspaper and I would bet it would have been just fine for 2 days.

If you went with their larger box, that would have added approx $3.00. I have had very good luck with shipping throughout the U.S. with the U.S. mail with their Proirity service.

Maybe I should not have said anything now after UPS got you. The U.S. mail priority service with their flat rate box is a very good way to ship for very little.

Maybe I should not have said anything now after UPS got you.

Just salt in the wound now, HL. Oh well, next time I'll know better and I'll follow your suggestion to the T. Live and learn...

$70 to ship a pound of fish. That seems wayup there. Last year I shipped 70 lbs of fish from Alaska via Fed Ex for $5.00 per pound and that included packing, freezing and the box. I'm going to check the price as we are going again in August.