• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3000 gps antenna dead

Shwangman

Question

Purchased a LCX-27c last year from a staff pro off one of the sites, brand new but did not have a 3000 gps with it so I purchased one of those off [YouNeedAuthorization], brand new in the bag. Ran all last year no problems now this year, it does not work!! A relative of mine had a spare and swapped it out and it at started working. i would think, that it would last longer that one year and of coarse,if Lowrance would do anything, its past the 1 year for warranty. Can a person send these in to get rebuilt?

Another question I have is about 5 times this weekend, I would start my main motor after trolling with my electric, and the unit would turn off plus, on readings, it would give me the proper depth and then it would go to 1.1 and stay there or, when I turn it on, it goes to 60 feet!! Now the last 3 hours of our fishing trip, no problem, other that the unit not reading your boat speed on the full map, which was strange because I could go to the split map (Map with Sonar) and pick up the speed but for the main one, it would just flash, 0.00.

Electronics are great, when they are working!!

5 answers to this question

I doubt that they can rebuild your GPS but it might be worth a call to Lowrance to see if it is possible. It sounds like you have your electronics connected to your starting battery and the motor is putting a heavy drain on the battery when cranking over to the point of dropping the voltage so low it is messing with the unit. If it was me I would shut off my electronics before I start my motor or install a battery dedicated to the electronics so there would not be such variations in voltage going to your electronics. This might have shortened the life of your puck.

Low power to the unit.

Check all connections and fuse link tensions (Spring tension on the fuse). Check battery output too, under load. To me, I suspect it is a battery issue.

If the power spikes below 10V, the system will shut down.

Connections first, and then likely replace the battery if needed.

This GPS troubleshooting guide should help. Also, new software is out for the NMEA 3000's and that may also help, so an update may be in order for you.

These GPS modules are designed to operate with NMEA 2000 compatible systems. These require a power supply to operate. This is either supplied directly to the network or through an extra cable (NMEA 2000 Power) on the unit power cable. This is often overlooked.

* Ensure proper power is supplied to the unit for operation. Follow trouble shooting for blue connector unit power related issues here or red connector unit power related issues here if needed.

Blue connector link*

* Ensure proper power is being provided to the GPS module. If not configured for a network, power should also be applied to the NMEA 2000 Power cable. Apply the red wire to a fused (3A) +12V supply. Ground both the black wire and the shielded ground (bare wire). To determine if an interruption in power is preventing the GPS operation, review this document.

Red connector link*

* Check and clean connections between the display portion of the unit and the GPS module. A minimum of two connections will be in the cabling and possibly more. Trace the cable and clean contacts at each connector as needed. Clean all connections with an anti-corrosion clean for electronics as needed.

* Ensure that a Liner Architecture is observed if using a LowranceNET or NMEA 2000 network.

* Check the terminating resistor(s). There may be one 60 Ohm terminator or two 120 Ohm terminators. Simply check the short end of the Y cable. If a hard plastic "T" is in use, check the end for the terminator. Any evidence of scorch or fowling may indicate a replacement terminator or cable should be obtained.

* Isolate the RS-232 communications (NMEA-0183) cable. This will have 4 wires, yellow/Orange/Blue/Shield. Tape each wire individually and then together if not using the NMEA communications.

* Update the unit and the GPS module to their latest software version. If an earlier version of software for a module is operated with an newer version of the unit, communications may not function properly. Update the unit and GPS module accordingly by following this link.

Update Link*

* Reset the unit. Resets for your particular unit are available.

Resets link*

* After updating, check the NMEA 2000 Bus. Press menu from a main operating page and select the NMEA 2000 menu and choose the Bus Setup option. If other devices on the network are visible, check the connection at the GPS module to the network as well as other cabling between the module and other properly operating devices. If the LGC-2000 is visible, select this option to view data for software version, and additional data. The status may indicate not-configured or OK. If not configured, change the instance to 255.

* Reset the network by removing power from the NMEA 2000 power cable. Keep power off for a couple minutes to allow all devices to properly reset. Reapply power to the network.

If problems persist, it is difficult to determine the actual fault due to the cables, terminators and other devices in use. Attempting operation on another available system to isolate the communication error is ideal if possible.