• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help-1993 Johnson 60HP 3 cylinder

seamonster1

Help- I just got done bragging to a coworker how well this motor has treated me for 16years. Then trouble of course.

Here's the situation. Monday put in the water for first time. Absolutley no issues.

Saturday put in the water and fine to location A. Went to leave and it starts fine. Increase throttle and it dies. starts back up and dies after 5 seconds. Did this 5-7 times before using trolling motor to get back.

Noticed two things. 1)Was emitting alot of white smoke- like it does when I take it out for the first time and it burns fogging oil out. 2) The gas tank was very low and I have added oil(50:1) to gas tank for several years, after burning out power head several years ago when oil pump quit working.

After it was out of water, I filled the gas tank without any oil. what should I expect tommorrow when I put it in the water?

When you say "very low", do you mean to say empty? Were you out of gas?

Pull the spark plugs and have a look at them. The white smoke "steam" immediatly makes me think of water in the cylinders. May not be the case here, but pull the plugs and look for water. Look for droplets that "bead up" by themselves.

Do a spark and compression test as well to rule out those 2.

Expect more "white smoke". That is steam and not white smoke.

Could be a thermostat, bad impeller of restriction from debris.

Could be that the impellor, T-stat and rest of the cooling system are fine and you have a leak in the head gasket allowing water into a cylinder. That would also come out as steam.

Pull the plugs and look for traces of water on the plug.

A slight chance that you had water in the tank causing the engine to quit and the steam was water.

I'd start by pulling the plugs and check for trace of moister.

Then check the P stream by running the outboard with muffs on.

Pulled the cover and ran with ear muffs. "smoke" is coming from lower unit. Black liquid is dripping from a black thin plate like part located near the boat side of the motor. Would not start after one tunrover/quit.

Bringing it in tommorrow.

I'd have a compression test done.

Unfortunately three cylinder 60 and 70 hp OMC engines are somewhat known for burning down due to cooling problems; if you do a search in this forum there's a post that describes the issue in further detail - basically, one of the cylinders wasn't getting enough coolant water and overheated. There was a tech bulletin published to remedy the problem, but a large percentage of motors didn't get updated.

I'm not saying that's your problem, but it is the first thing I would check.

marine_man