• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I hear creeking noises when going over curb at end of driveway. Is this a sign shocks need replacing? What shock would you recommend for a '01 dakota, 4wd, 8cyl. Don't know if the shocks are originals since truck was bought used with 100,000 miles. Bed usually has hunting/fishing gear so there is usually some form of weight in the back. Would a gas or hydraulic shock work better? What do you look for in the construction a shock? How difficult is it to replace these on your own? What steps should be done to change these out?

OEM or Monroe you should be able to do it, they usually take an 8mm, a 13 or 15 mm to remove them. I always undo the top nut, you can see it sticking up through the control arm above the coil. it wont go anywhere unless it is a strut then i would take it to a shop to have them do them. I do not think they are, you can call an autoparts house and find out what shocks they carry and see that they are not struts. The rear are simple, i remove the top then bottom, put the new shock in place while still being held by the strap attach the top loosely then cut the strap and guide the rear in place. Should be able to do it in an hour atleast. Good luck

I've got the same issue. Creaking over large bumps and driveway. Seems to be one side only. I had the worn out shocks replaced at 65k with Bilsteins; these are still going strong I believe.

I've been thinking ball joints for my truck also. They were replaced with the recall already, but they put some crappy ones right back in. Still sealed without any way to lube them myself. How much money did that cost chrysler by not installing a $0.15 zerk fitting on the ball joints?

Anyone know the sure way to tell they are shot, or do I have to bring back to the dealer?

Place a floor jack under the control arm. Jack it up so the tire is a couple of inches off the ground. Place a pry bar under the tire and lift up. If there is any play in the lower ball joint you will feel it. With the tire still jacked up push in and pull out on the top of the tire. If there is any play in the upper you should feel it.

If I recall correctly the recall was for upper ball joints on the durango's.