• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What kind of fertilizer do you use for your outdoor garden?

maros91

I just have some black dirt and use some miracle grow stuff once every week or two but next year I am going to make my garden bigger and was wondering what is the best fertilizer. Cow manure I heard is good and my dad told me he knew a guy that would use carp. He would cut the belly open and bury the fish. Anyone ever try that? I also read online that old egg shells also work. After cracking an egg take the old shell and grind it up into the smallest pieces you can and spread around the plant. It said use 5 egg shells per plant.

Anyone try any of these or use something else?

Head on over to the local turkey grower and get a scoop put in the bed. Put a layer a 1/2 inch think or so over the garden and till it in. The stuff is pure nitrogen and gold for a garden. Don't forget the preen too because everything is going to grow.

May have problems with the 15-15-15 or 10-10-10. New laws forbid the use of phosphorous in fertilizers. Walmart sells a composted manure. Runs about 2 bucks a bag and according to the instructions you are only suppose to use like one bag per 100 square feet. Be careful with cow manure. Cows eat a lot of stuff that produce nasty weeds. Pig or turkey manure is probably better. Make sure you do not over do it or you will burn your plants.

Head on over to the local turkey grower and get a scoop put in the bed. Put a layer a 1/2 inch think or so over the garden and till it in. The stuff is pure nitrogen and gold for a garden. Don't forget the preen too because everything is going to grow.

Be careful with the Preen, not all of it is rated for gardens or food stuffs.

Originally Posted By: Down2Earth

Be careful with the Preen, not all of it is rated for gardens or food stuffs.

What would you guys recommend for a weed preventer then?

Let your lawn get long, mow it, rake it, and use the clippings as a top dress after your plants are in the ground.

Or

Landscape fabric with some rocks holding down the edges and X's cut in for the plants.

May have problems with the 15-15-15 or 10-10-10. New laws forbid the use of phosphorous in fertilizers. Walmart sells a composted manure. Runs about 2 bucks a bag and according to the instructions you are only suppose to use like one bag per 100 square feet. Be careful with cow manure. Cows eat a lot of stuff that produce nasty weeds. Pig or turkey manure is probably better. Make sure you do not over do it or you will burn your plants.

the triple 10's and triple 15's and from our manufacturer is the triple 14's which are used for landscape plants and tree's. It is not illegal if used in landscape and tree's and probably gardens...just not on lawns.

I have had very good luck using dead bullheads and minnows that I will dig into the garden before I plant.

When we were kids and my dad planted a row of shrubs, I would catch fish and clean them and then dig the remains into the base of the shrubs. The ones that got fish remains outgrew all of the others and my dad could not figure out why until I told him I was putting my fish remains by a few of the things.