Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eskimoman

tough day

21 posts in this topic

Never had as tough of a day putting some bass together as today. Fished a new lake so that is part of the problem but I just couldn't figure them out.

Caught a few on hard jerkbaits right away but nothing over about 14 inches. Threw some jigs around inside weed edge and some pads and that worked the best putting about 5 solid fish in the boat. Tried a variety of other techniques to no avail. I dont know if they are pre spawn or post spawn. Ceentral mn. Any advice?

Did you get a water temp reading? Could you see any beds? were there sunfish shallow?

mine was tougher - packing up the house in prep for moving tomorrow

been out trout fishing once and thats it so far this year. no eyes, no pike, no bass

I sold my boat today. So that stunk sick

But a new boat is in the works, so that's good right? wink

The good news is, you were on the water, more than some of us can say.

some sunfish shallow and seeing lots of crappies and smallish bass. Didn't see much for beds. No water temp reading.

I was out Saturday and had a tough day. Five fish, northern and bass, that totaled about five pounds. Fishing pressure was high in all areas of the lake. I think the lake I was on is in pre-spawn. Water was about 63 degrees and i didn't see much in the shallows. I would have tried to drop shot in deeper waters, but that darn wind was too strong to stay in one spot. How do you drop shot when under windy conditions? Do you anchor or just drift along?

point your boat into the wind and find the speed on the trolling motor that will cancel out the wind/drift speed...

what would be some good options for pre-spawn? drop shots, what else? sounds like deeper water?

Water temp was 66 to 68. Looked like empty beds and tons of pan fish in the shallows (potentially spawning). How do you fish this? The bite was hard. I believe it was a post spawn.

use crappie jigs tipped with leeches on a slip bobber...follow the wind. if the wind is from the south, go to the north find the depth of the fish and slip bobber with small hair jigs tipped with leeches

i did this the whole weekend and found tons of bass and you also catch some nice sunnies. total somewhere around 50 bass all 14 through 19 and a bunch of fat 8 inch sunnies

I would of loved to use a bobber and a leech today. Pre-fishing a local lake today for a tournament next Sunday, and the bass were few and far between. Caught a total of 5 all around 15". The wind was a bit to much and there was alot of pressure on this lake. Alot of beds but nobody home, the big ones have got to be deep, I wish I knew where. The question is when do they start coming into the shallows..?

Bass were spawning in my area. Water temp had jumped all the way up to 72 by Sunday from 61 last Sunday.

They seemed like they were in spawn mood on Sunday in the west metro. I got 4 fish in the 4 lbs class. All less than 5 feet of water.

I don't even want to talk about my bass opener.

i didnt even see a bass in the shallows or catch any off the first break water temp was about 65 to 68, I ended up catching walleyes, how depressing.

did you go shallow and see?.. were there beds that were empty? Could you have been in post spawn?.. Post spawn is very very very frustrating! I have yet to find a good consistant post spawn pattern.. its really hit or miss.

So if i wasn't seeing any beds or many bigger bass shallow you think it was pre-spawn. I saw maybe 3 bigger (15= inch) bass shallow all day. Fish we got were from maybe 4-6ft. Should I focus deeper?

everyday it will change this time of the year. But yes, if they were pre spawn you may have wanted to try deeper.