• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer tire question/issue

Scott26

Question

Both my tires are wearing a little differently that what I have seen before.

The inside tread looks fine but the outside tread is wearing faster and lower on the side that hits the ground first and higher on the other side.

Is this because their low on air or is the boat to heavy for the tires I have on there? Also checked the pressure of the tires and they are to spec of the tire.

4 answers to this question

single axle or dual axle? if single I would agree with heat checker. if dual, the rear axle does not track when turning, it drags therefore you loose tread on the rear axle in different rates. Similar to a tractor trailer rig. it the axle has too much weight it cannot float when turning therefore it drags.

it is a single axle.

The outside and inside edges are wearing differently then the middle tread.

what if the axle is rated for 3600 lbs, would then a stronger set of tires be in order?

Afaik, the tires should have a load rating commensurate with the max load on the trailer plus a little fudge factor, not necessarily what the axle rating is.

For example, if your boat, motor, and trailer in the as-towed configuration weighed 2,000lbs, you'd want wheels/tires with load rating of 1,000lbs each, bare minimum. Going higher to some degree is probably good, but going a bunch more just means added cost and a rougher ride for the equipment.