• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

any tricks to deter coons?

Ok, now that barrels are for now illegal still, an I'm done whinning about, What do you guys do to try an discourage coons? Big logs of same length an size, to minamize holes? I know a coon has alot of time on his hands an is very persistant, but there must be a good way to at least tyr an deter them from cleaning out a site. Any Ideas? Boar

I found that by placing some fresh fish 50 yards or so from the bait site definetly helps. The coons have always seemed to go for the fish first. Usually bait works best (crappie minnows) as it takes them forever to eat all of them.

I use the biggest logs I care to handle and try to use the straighest ones I can to try and keep the holes down. I havent had any troubles with coons if the logs are too big for them to move and there are very few holes. They still always manage to find a hole somehow but at least they cant get very much to eat. I always stack the logs in a pyramid too not just one row to cover the pit, that way there is no way they can roll them away.

Yea I realize that bog, last year I had five coon on my site at one time, they emptied the crib each time, these were big coon. I do solike the fact that they spread scent around an a bear will eventually cross the scent trail but if there is nothing in the crib for the bear then he will most likely move on. I just have to cut better logs. Or put out more bait so is some left over. Later boar

Cant do that dewey, nothing thats not readily biodegradable at the bait site, a bear could easily dig up that buckett if he wanted to an get his head stuck in it. But thanks for the ideas, trapping them would be fun though, might have to consider that, but I'll probabley just put up with them an do what I can to make a coon tight crib. Boar