• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

N. WI opener tomorrow!

Good luck to all heading out nort of Hwy 10 tomorrow. I'm hitting the Old Abe flowage bright and early, then probably the local rivers.

Be sure to post a report if you go!

BTW - when is the MN musky opener? Must be mid-Juneish?

Fought skeeters Sat morning, no muskies - just the typically slimies and smallies.

Sat night did some wading and got skunked.

Fished a spot yesterday I thought would be crowded, only two other people when we got there. However it was like a train of people soon after - got to be shoulder to shoulder junk soon and we got outta there.

Will be back at it for our club's first league night tomorrow.

Did hear of several fish caught in the area, nothing big but I'll get more reports tomorrow.

Good luck - June 6th will get here soon enough for most of you!

Boated 1 n moved 1 more fish on holocombe. It was zoo out there on sunday evening. I swear I tho I was on wbl for a moment.

How was the weed growth and water temp on Holcombe? I'll be there this Thurs through Sunday so I'm antsy to hit the water. Hoping to Muskie and smallmouth fish while we're there. Should be good times.

Managed to sneak out for a few hours Sunday night, otherwise was hosting guests all weekend. Boated a 37" about 15 casts into my season, and did so in front of a pontoon full of people that have never seen a muskie before. The rest of the day was a much more typical display of muskie fishing: dad missed a strike and had two hot follows, 1 which bolted off. The other I have a question on; if you have a fish hot on your lure (this case a baby girl being burned) and between the lure and the boat is a formidable wall of weeds, is there anything you can do? I popped it through pretty cleanly, but the fish either lost sight or interest once it got in them. Anyway all fish we saw were holding up in thick patches of curly-leaf pondweed looking out over scattered weeds on a large flat. If you didn't have both those, you didn't have any fish. Anywho this thread needs a pic, and we need a 2009 pic thread as well:

IMG_1007.jpg

I was on Holcombe on Saturday, I saw someone bringing in a 36 incher. Pretty exciting to watch. I was there with friends and we where getting some good northerns in the bay we where fishing. THe best was a 27incher on a small beetle spin, no leader either.

Aaron, water temp was from 62-68 I was fishing on sunday after cold night so I assume its avg 66-68 before the cold night. The weeds growth r still young. Mostly in 4 fow or less from what I had seen.. I was fishing in deep off edge, old river channel, around island. Didn't catch any smallies out of holocombe but caught some out of flambeau river they was fat! Hopefully I will be going there again at end of june or so!

Aaron, water temp was from 62-68 I was fishing on sunday after cold night so I assume its avg 66-68 before the cold night. The weeds growth r still young. Mostly in 4 fow or less from what I had seen.. I was fishing in deep off edge, old river channel, around island. Didn't catch any smallies out of holocombe but caught some out of flambeau river they was fat! Hopefully I will be going there again at end of june or so!

Hah, I bet I know the exact spot you're talking and I usually spend most of my mornings in that area fishing that entire weed flat. Great spot. I'm looking forward to a bunch of pike, and a bonus couple muskies would be nice. The smallie fishing might be hit or miss depending on spawn over there, but we'll still target them when we need a break from the heavy stuff. Thanks for the info!

Just an update from scoonie, out club got 4 last night with 3 from Wissota and one on Holcombe. Actually 5 as my bud caught a little 20"er. The rest ranged from 34-41".

Fished 2 days only. frown

Day 1: Only in the lower 60's for a high temperature, slightly cooler than what I was used to prior to the trip in MN. Fished a body of water known for it's size and not it's numbers. Surface water temps 60*-63* depending on where you were. 2 big fish blow ups on topwater and none hooked. 40"-45", big fish for WI anyway. A couple other fish seen, but pretty slow. Caught a few accidental bass and pike and seen some 10" crappies spawning all over and also saw a 26"ish walleye swimming in the shallows as well.

Day 2: Major cold front, not sure if it even hit 50* for a high. It was 47* at 11 am when we got on the water with a 20 mph wind from the north. Decided to hit a high numbered lake and caught 3 muskies from 32"-40". It was 85* just a few days prior to this. So, with the inconsistency of the weather I was happy with 3 fish. Some other bass and pike were caught as well. One smallie went 19 1/4", beautiful fish. Had some other hits and swipes from muskies, but didn't get hooked.

The theory of "find the green weeds, find the fish" held true. Wherever we found healthy green cabbage we found baitfish.

You betcha! I'm super antsy for 4:30 to roll around this afternoon so I can get outta work and on the road! I'll give a report when I get back. Glad to know the weeds are the hotspot right now, cause thats my fav fishing on Holcombe! All that open water deep points and stuff just frustrate me. :-p

Well, I definitely can't complain about the trip, though the fishing wasn't quite how I expected it to be. We fished hard Fri and Sat and ended up sleeping in on Sun before we had to drive back. Overall between the 2 of us we got 2 muskies (both 30"), just over 30 pike (biggest was 26", kind of sad honestly), a couple walleyes and a couple largemouth as well. Was nice to get a some steady action, and the pike were just HAMMERING the lures, mostly anything that put out a good vibration. Were using large spinners for awhile and ended up switching to chatterbaits cause the darn things were hitting short. Probably missed just as many as we caught honestly, along with a few other blowups on topwater which was pretty fun. Several other follows but not very aggressive, and both muuskies were actually caught on Chatterbaits as well now that I think of it. A good majority of the fish were caught very shallow and wherever the weeds were green.

Pretty fun weekend either way, and I figured the pike numbers would be high going into it, just hoped for more size.