• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just saw an interesting article that reminded me of the helmet discussion earlier this spring. A 12 year old boy was riding without his helmet in his local cul-de-sac. Fell, hit his head (no helmet), and was knocked out briefly. Got up, seemed OK but kept having a headache. He got worse so he was taken to the hopital. He ended up having a head bleed in the same place as the actress who died this winter. The doctor there recognized it and had to perform emergency surgery with a cordless drill from the maintenance dept. This was in Maryborough, Australia. Drilling a hole in the kid's head saved his life. I think I'll have any kids who are my responsibility wear a helmet.

Make sure it fits and they wear it correctly. A cheap and or poorly fitted helmets worn incorrectly (i.e. tipped back like many children like to wear one) have been known to provide perfect leverage to break necks. Ensure that the helmet fits properly and is secure enough that the child cannot shift it around on the head. A good local bike shop should be able to help you with this.

My son yesterday, 13, was on way home yesterday from the last day of school. Was excited to get home so was hauling butt on the pathway home. Passed another kid and about 100 yrds ahead when his foot slipped off pedal, got hung between frame and sprocket. He did a face plant on the concrete, got both knees, both shoulders, one elbow, and a wrist. Cut his ankle quite deep but refused to get it looked at. I looked at this helmet, the front of it is beat up and you can see where it took the impact. I cut the straps off so he cant wear it again and will get him a new one.

He loves to mountain bike so i bought him a skateboarder helmet as it comes down in the back of the head further than a regular bike helmet. It bothers me to no end that parents will allow their kids to go with out a helmet, and i always ask them when they ride by where it is.