Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bottle Fish

Is a farmer liable....

21 posts in this topic

My Dad lives across from a farmers field and with the straight line gusty wind, corn husks from the farmers field blew into his and all of his neighbors lawns. This was the first time this has ever happened because this is the first time the farmer didn't plow his field like he normally does.

Does a farmer have any obligation or liability to help with cleanup of the mess? This is the third time in two weeks we are all mowing, bagging, blowing, raking this [PoorWordUsage] up and off our lawns. madmadmadmad This is no easy job either, it is like snowdrifts some of which are 2-3 feet high made of only corn husks.

I tell you one thing if it were my lawn I guarantee at least a couple of the loads we be dumped on the guys driveway in the middle of the night just to say thanks for helping with the cleanup. grin

Not like it matters but these are all lake shore properties with already more than enough work to be done to maintain. I should also mention 90% of them are retired and elderly including my Dad.

Legally, I would say no. As a matter of goodwill between neighbors, I would say yes.

Not really sure what you can do about it, if mother nature is causing the problem. Have you talked to them?

my guess would be he is not since they are not on his property any more. You going over and pointing it out is reasonable and hope that he is able to lend a hand or something.

Yes on a couple of occasions and all he said is sorry. Sorry doesn't clean it up or solve anything.

well if you wanna start something then do as you said, bag them up and dump them in his driveway LOL

Maybe call the Sheriff and see what he says? Maybe you can get him to have a talk with the culprit.

If your neighbor doesn't bag his leaves and the wind blows them into your yard, do you expect to have him come and rake it for you? The farmer cant help which way the wind blows. If it blows from his field into someones yard, tuff hop.

Trust me, he has bigger things to worry about than corn leave blowing off the field and into someones yard. Like the topsoil blowing off with them. For all we know they were left on purpose to give back to the soil what they took out.

I am sorry your family and the rest of the neighborhood have to clean the yard, but I am guessing the farm field was there when they built/moved in. It happens, move on.

This happens to me quite a bit too. I have a farm south of me and I live on the edge of town. Several times during the fall it would blow into my yard then accumulate on the north side of my house....

It didnt bother me much at all. I figured it is what happens living that close to a field.

I didnt do anything with it and it blew off to someone elses place or rotted during the winter.

I havent had a problem with it in the spring time yet but I guess I would just put the bag on my mower when I mow.

I agree with NG, not much you can do or should do. He can't control the wind and the corn was most likely left there on purpose. Does it suck to clean up? Yes. Should you start a Neighbor War over this? I sure wouldn't.

I will agree with Neighbor_guy. As I understand it, this would be considered an act of God since it is the result of the unusually strong winds.

You are not the only ones cleaning up the corn stalks. I saw many farmers in their own yards yesterday cleaning up the same thing.

All I would like to see happen is the guy at the very least help in anyway possible to clean it up. I don't want to start something over a wind issue either, but at least offer to help.

I suggested to call the Jail and see if maybe the residents there might want to help out. I know if I were in there I would love to get out even if it is for cleanup purposes.

I think you're out of luck on this one. The weather probably didn't allow him to plow the field. His only other option is to burn the field off then you would have dirt and smoke to blame him for. Mother nature should get the blame for this one. If you want help from him let him get his planting done once a crop is planted and growing the trash blowing will stop. Good luck I hope your problem ends soon and I'm sure it will.

As for CJH's advice I think the sheriff might have more important things to do than get in the middle of the corn husk fued. It would be reasonable to ask the farmer for a truck to haul the corn husks and a good location to dump them.

On a windy day in the winter when you neighbors snow blows into your driveway do you call him up and tell him to shovel his snow out of your driveway??? NO It sucks but you cant do anything about it and if I was the farmer I would just say I was sorry too!!! Thats mother nature for you!! I would assume your leaves and stuff like that blow on to his property and he doesnt call you up?? I think your making this a big deal and it really isnt. Look at it this way: Its good exercise!!! If I lived closer I would help you out for the a few hours!! Good luck!!

If you lived next to a wooded lot and the leaves blow off into your yard in the fall, would you call the owner of the lot and ask him to remove the leaves? I think not.

It sounds like you're getting riled up over nothing.

I don't rake my leaves that blow into the neighbors yard the same way he doesn't rake his leaves that blow into my yard.

I think I raked 3-4 times this spring beucase my neighbors didn't rake the leaves in their yard which allowed them to blow into my yard. But I wasn't going to start a fued over it and I certainly wasn't going to call the police over the matter. And I'd guess that the jail wouldn't offer up an inmates to help clean the mess either. The officers that would be required to be their watching them probably have better things to be doing.

Good luck with the mess. Personally I'd just sit back and wait for the wind to shift. Sooner or later it always does.

This happens to me all the time as I live on the edge of town next to as huge field. I moved here after the farmer was already farming so I guess I just clean it up.

No different the the neighbors leaves or the dandelions that blow in my yard as the one neighbor does not spray his yard.

This happens to me all the time as I live on the edge of town next to as huge field. I moved here after the farmer was already farming

smile You hit the nail on the head Harvey! I kinda get a kick out of it when people move into farm country, or hunting country, or lake country... and then complain about the smell, or the early morning shotgun blasts, or the dirty trucks in driveways... the list goes on.

People want that "country lifestyle" but then complain about the very same thing that lured them out there, ha!

This isn't aimed at the original poster, just that you see it a lot. And I am a city boy by birthplace, but certainly don't want to bring the city and manicured lawns to the country. Heck, I love it when I can hear the faint gunshots, when the wind is right, during duck season smile

It would stink to have to clean up like that, but that's part of it, just like people who live on rivers need to deal with flooding. Just my two cents, though, and its not worth much wink

All I would like to see happen is the guy at the very least help in anyway possible to clean it up. I don't want to start something over a wind issue either, but at least offer to help.

I suggested to call the Jail and see if maybe the residents there might want to help out. I know if I were in there I would love to get out even if it is for cleanup purposes.

The sentence to serve program only does community service work or work for non-profit organizations.

if if if if if .

if a tree falls in the woods and noone is around to hear it does it really make a sound? grin

i live in town (a very small town) IN IN town, not on the edge, and i have corn husks on my lawn. Just be thankful its not someones roof, or car that blew over in the hurricane force winds. It would have been nice though if he'd offered to lend a hand, or if you bagged it he'll thrown them on his burn pile or something.

Wait til the wind blows in a different direction- they will disappear. I have same kind of problem- I don't have a single tree on my yard, but every year I have millions of leaves. Gets old. After awhile, they blow away