• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power Steering?

Cove

I ordered a Sportsman xp 550 EFI today then got to thinking, maybe I do want power steering after all. Old shoulder injury gets onry when I have to apply sustained downward pressure for long periods of time. Having never ridden an ATV before, I don't have a good sense of the value (or lack of) for Power Steering. Hope the ATV Forum comes to the rescue.

I would honestly ride both.

I own an EPS model, that being said if I didn't own tracks to run on it and plow with I would probably save the $700 and go with the Non-EPS as it steers very easy, similiar to Power Steering Grizzly. But it is too soon to tell how I will like the EPS model as I haven't gotten much seat time in yet (about 100 miles in it's first week) but so far am impressed and antgicipate after I get used to the new machine there will be no going back.

I also test drove a 550 and must say that is an impressive little machine, very snappy, great powerband, awesome low gear. The 550 I drove hit 64mph very quickly, althogh unless I'm "testing" I don't drive that fast.

Do you have a current ATV? If so drive it then drive the NON-EPS Polaris and you'll feel the difference. Slow speeds is where the EPS shines, 1 handed turns at full steer of the bars.

WQith the EPS and not being used to it, it doesn'[t really feel like an ATV yet. Once I get her broke in on the rocks and hills I think it wioll be the cat's meow.

Fishy

i was having the same decision when i was going to buy my atv last year but i decided not too because i dont really need it because i am still young and that is what i have grown up riding so i used the money i saved to buy a winch and some wheels and tires that steer a little easier

Thanks for your input guys.

I called and changed my order to include the EPS (power steering) on the Sportsman XP 550 EFI based in no small part on your input. I'm turning 60 this year, coombia21, and the old sports injuries, earned when I was your age, like the proverbial chickens, are coming home to roost. I train all year long to keep the rotator cuff in good shape for bow hunting in particular, and I know too much sustained, static pressure, or an unexpected wrench motion, can set me back for many months. So I took the plunge. Also, I hope to talk my wife into driving it & she is strong but little.

Somethingfishy, I don't think I will ever use Tracks, but my medium range plans are to use my ATV for little food plots so plowing is a possibility. I also appreciate your general comments on the 550. It has been fun looking around but I feel really good, at this point, with my choice of ATVs.

You won't be dissapointed. If I didn't own the tracks I would have bought the 550. That machine will do pretty much anything you would need. My recommendation is to upgrade the tires though, didn't really care for the stock Carlise Terathon's. Machine handles better with different tires.

If they bring out a Touring (2up) XP in the next 2 years we probably will upgrade the other halfs machine, for now she's still on her 800 non-touring.

Post up some pics when you get it.

I'm curious, you said you had to order it? Are you waiting for a 2010 model or is your preffered dealer out of your color preference? Most dealers around here have the machines ready to roll. Mossy Oak 850 EPS was the only one that was harder to find, Only 2 dealers I checked out of 5 had them.

the Polaris power steering is amazing, its electronically controlled so it works without the motor running. you can turn the handlebars with one finger when parked. the power is spot on, just point and go.

Polaris designed the power steering system that implements a small brushless DC motor. This power steering system is the most powerful available and provides a variable assist with more assist at lower speeds and reduced assist at higher speeds

I know after riding an efi grizzly with EPS. all i can say is NO THANKS! the griz had power and felt pretty snappy, but I didnt like that it felt very tippy and uncomfortable. The power steering seemed nice but against the sportsmans it seemed stupid to even compare them.

Yeah, you're right. The unexpected jarring motion can be a killer.

Thanks for all the comments. I am at a point with a steep learning curve. Next I am going to have to study the rules on where can ride and where not, tips on trailering, etc. I will probably be back on the ATV Forum again.