Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bigguyone

Need some Help on vermillion

11 posts in this topic

I am planning a trip up to Vermillion May30-June 6th...we are traveling 1000+miles in search of some Pike and smallies and a few eyes (hence choosing V is for the variety).

I am looking for some insight/assistance on where and how to get into the bass on Vermillion...if you have some pike/eye assistance I would appreciate it too.

THANK YOU very much and feel free to email me at Dustin@freemydollars.com if you would prefer not to post in the "open." Thank you VERY MUCH!

dont u already have like a bunch of posts asking that? go back and read em again there is a lot of good info in there.

I was just asking previously if V or Rainy was a better lake for a trip...

Do need some specific places/techniques to focus on May 30-June 6...thank you in advance.

largies, crappies, sunfish, black bay large spawning area

I would go to Rainy if you are looking for smallies and pike. Vermilion is awesome especially for muskies. And it is a big lake. But it is still a zoo with all the boats. Rainy you are guaranteed non stop action.

We already did our deposit on our room and boat - we are flying in (coming over 1000 miles)....so we will have to stick to vermillion.

Did rainy last year on US side...will probably not do that again...wanna do Canadian side though

I've visited both Rainy and Vermilion and they are both awesome. You'll have a great time on the V.

For smallies, we had our best luck with 4" and 5" senkos fished wacky style. Brown, dark green, and similar colors seemed to work best.

Toss around docks, rocks, etc. Also be sure to hit the reeds. The smallies will be in there feeding on the crayfish.

Not sure what the water temp is up there so it might be early for topwater, but worth a few casts.

I'd think Rapala X-Raps would be great for a mixed bag of pike and smallies. Maybe walleyes too.

And thanks for spending your tourist dollars in MN!

DB

I would go to Rainy if you are looking for smallies and pike. Vermilion is awesome especially for muskies. And it is a big lake. But it is still a zoo with all the boats. Rainy you are guaranteed non stop action.

I disagree

I think you can be much more successful fishing the standard smallmouth areas and structure on Vermilion, especially if you are new to the lake. Vermilion is a zoo on weekends, BUT, you virtually zero competition for bass fishing spots. Infact you will rarely see people out there bass fishing. Trust me Ive spent whole summers on Vermilion bass fishing (east end only). Docks rocks points logs, all good spots for smallies. Top water smallie fishing is a waste of time IME on Vermilion.

The crayfish explosion on Vermilion has caused the bass to reach enourmous size. That being said, Ive had much more success with lures like senkos than anything that is similar to a crayfish.

I really do appreciate the input and will be asking for a little more update at the end of the week as we will start fishing up there late saturday (30th) and your input is greatly appreciated as there are 3 of us coming and two have never fished MN - I want them to have a great trip so they come back year after year (and spend out dollars in MN). Thank you.

I agree with Sled, topwater is pretty useless on Vermillion Smallies. However, if you plan to fish the west end of the lake, there is an increasing population of Largemouth. My 7 year old and I have had a blast catching LM Bass by zipping scum frogs over lilly pads in various bays around the west end on sunny days. If you have kids - scum frogs(or any weedless topwater/frog) are the ulimate weapon. They are weedless, durable, and even a miss/strike is enough excitemeent to last 30 minutes! Use braided line. I've unexpectedly landed quite a few pike on them as well.