• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

knots on gamagatzus?

Hey just curious what kind of knots you guys tie up when tying up a gamagatzu for lindy riggin? Snell knots? Trilene knots? A guy at GM told my friend when using a hook with that bent eye like a gamagatzu octopus livebait hook that you should tie up the snell knot or the hooking percentage goes down? I've never noticed this as i've never used a snell knot. What do you guys think?

Snelling octopus style hooks is always a good idea. You don't HAVE to, as we tie quick trilene knots once in awhile if we're in a hurry and don't have poor luck with them. I always snell them up when I re-rig later however...

Where would I look to learn to tie a snell not??

Do a google search for animated fishing knots or snell knots or anything like that. Lots of good resources come up for lots of different knots. There are at least 3 ways to tie a snell knot, the way I use is pretty close to the animation on netknots dot com

For sure you should snell any bent eye style of hook. There are some good knot tying tools out there that make wrapping a snell knot pretty easy for folks who are new to this knot or if they're all thumbs.

I'm not so sure about the hooking percentage increasing as much as the not holding better on a big fish. On a cinch or Trilene knot you have 1 or 2 wraps around the eye of the hook. With a snell I have 9 wraps around the shank.